Tire Pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a new Chevy 2500HD 4x4 gas engine. It calls for 60psi front and 80 psi rear. I was told I can not run lower pressure. The truck is run for hunting and to go to and from work. It is
unloaded. It has E tires. Any one with a good unloaded pressure? Also how can the tire pressure monitor be reset? The dealer said it can not be reset. OnStar sent me a report that they were low now.

That sounds really high for tire pressure. I would make sure that you have checked the sticker on the driver's side door jam and double check and make sure that is the recommended psi. Check for yourself, don't listen to advice. Just walk out to the truck and check the sticker.

Then, make sure the tires on the truck meet the recommended psi by checking the side wall of the tires.

Then, fill the tires so that it is more than what the door jam sticker says but less than the max psi on the sidewall of the tire.

My dad has a newer Chevy and his tire pressure light is always malfunctioning. He has had it to the dealer 2 or 3 times. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you have done the above and that you manually check the tire pressure every oil change or so and anytime they look soft.

Last edited:
I dont know if that is high... it is designed as a work truck, and likely liability requires that it be "suited up" with pressures commensurate with that duty.

Why would you want to lower the pressure though? Higher pressure generally means lower rolling resistance, and thus you are probably benefitting fuel economy. Is there a specific traction or ride issue that you are trying to avoid?

I guess I should have got a half ton. They are trying hard to sell these trucks. The deal was too good to pass up. Yes with
80 in the rear and 60 in the front is too much for no load.
Loss traction on wet roads. The pressure was from the door sticker. The dealer said the system is set for for max load and
tire pressure.

Well, one option might be to just ignore it. Annoying, yes, but you know the real situation.

I wonder also if it is possible to replace some component with lower-pressure rated varieties, though this likely isnt a smart move and risky unless you can return what you try to retrofit.

Ive heard of one person sticking all four sensors inside of the spare tire, and keeping the spare at pressure worked. They did this to put on new summer and winter tires, the swap between would be annoying. I think some of it depends on if your sensor is based upon an ABS reading, or is actually installed into the air valve.

You could look in your owner's manual for the vehicle empty weight and the front to rear weight bias to find the load on each tire. Add in some gasoline and passengers. Then find a chart that shows tire pressure vs. load like this one that I found by googling "tire pressure load." http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/rv_inflation.pdf
You'll have to find a chart that includes your tire size. That's the way I would do it and I'd probably add a few psi for good measure. Let us know what you find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back