Tire pressure for “E” rated tire?

Replaced some decade old Michelin’s on my father’s 2003 One ton Ram 3500. I remember him saying when he towed the 5th wheel camper, his tires were aired to 80psi. When he put the trailer up, he dropped the pressure back down, but I don’t remember what to. For those that run similar, what lower ”normal street driving pressure” do you recommend be used? If I leave it at 80psi with no load, it rides like there are no shocks in the thing. Note: the truck is not a dually.

Shocks are ok, and truck is equipped with air bags as well. He didn’t spare expense when he drove it. Now may I ask, for my own curiosity, what made you settle on 55?

Shocks are ok, and truck is equipped with air bags as well. He didn’t spare expense when he drove it. Now may I ask, for my own curiosity, what made you settle on 55?
Actually those numbers are from my 1500 ( that i just traded) that came with pmetrics and i switched to E load range. I went a bit more than the 15 psi that member CapriRacer recommended.

My new ram 2500 came at 80, i dropped them to 70. The door placard says 60 front 65 rear.

Whats on the door of the 3500?

Last edited:
Right now, I don’t know. The truck is 350 miles away in my mothers garage. I will see it this weekend. I just had the tires replaced about a month ago but forgot to check them as ro what the local tire retaile put them at. So I was going to adjust them when I got up there this weekend.

Absolutely, totally empty, I ran 55-60 in the rears of my ‘06 Ram 3500 SRW, but ALWAYS ran 80 in the fronts, empty or loaded (4WD, Cummins, automatic)-there’s a large amount of weight in the front, and both of the ones I had liked to wear the front tire edges faster than the center.

There is a sticker on the door area with the recommended and on the side wall a maximum pressure. What load is being carried and the sustained highway speed. The previous posts nailed it.

I'm running 60 in the rear of the Sierra 3500 unless towing then I run the 80 psi called for on the placard. It takes some of the harshness out of road imperfections. No need for 80 empty.
Exactly what I did with my Chevy 3500 SRW and it definitely makes a difference in ride quality.

My old Sierra says 50psi with an LT E and that's what the tire shop set them to but like you it felt like the shocks were frozen with no load and going over a bigger bump felt like the whole rear of the truck was hopping all over the place so I can only image how a 3500 feels. I dropped them down to 45psi and it's much better and they are wearing even.

I always chalk my tires and run the pressure that wears the chalk off evenly. On my 03 2500 ram with the cummins that comes out to 65 in the front and 54 in the rear with about 700 #s in the bed.
Larry

I dropped the pressure in mine to 50 psi. It was well above the minimum pressure set by TRA. You can reference the chart for the minimum pressure at a maximum load.

Back