Tire plugs: DIY or tire shop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any real advantage to taking a tire with a nail or screw in it to a tire shop to do a 'professional' repair? Are the materials or processes they use any better than what I can get from a Walmart repair kit?

To be clear, I'm just referring to a simple plug job in the center of the tread, nothing near the sidewalls and nothing structurally questionable.

If you're asking whether a tire plug at a shop is different than you doing a tire plug yourself, the answer is most likely no. I certainly wouldn't bother going to a shop for that. The materials are the same. There's some argument about whether the tire plugs are different depending on whether they're brown or black, I've used both and experience no problems.

I've personally witnessed shops repairing tires with tire plugs and they do it exactly like you would yourself. Rasp the whole, insert plug, snip off end. I actually do more than that, I use the vulcanizing agent, so I would do it myself.

If you're asking whether a tire plug at home is different than going to a shop that's going to dismount the tire and do a plug and patch, definitely do the plug and patch.

I've done many rope plugs over the years and never had any major issues. Sometimes they leak, and in those cases, I've taken the tire and wheel to shop to be plugged and patched internally, which is a better long term fix, IMO. But, if my rope plug doesn't leak, it stays for the life of the tire (and I usually forget about it).

I grew up using plugs to get home, they are a lie saver when you are,any miles from a tire shop and all your tires are taking holes and you only have one spare tire. (Think a long deserted beach with debris and nails washed ashore and buried in the sand such as after a hurricane )
My preference is to go into a tire shop or even Walmart and get a proper internal patch done. And I am ocd enough to get the internals of the tire patched over after I have used a plug.
My dad used to be more laid back with his beach rig and his tires would look like a porcupine.

If you have the ability to plug it yourself, why not? Shops around me will charge you $15-20 to do this. Others will charge $25-30 to dismount and install a fancier plug-patch.

I thought most don't use plugs anymore but patches. Places like Discount Tire and Belle Tire patch for free.

Last edited:
I have used the plugs for years on my vehicles. Never have had a problem with my repairs.

Plugs are not acceptable repairs according to the Rubber Manufactures Association. I've seen countless DIY attempts and they failed. Then they bring them to Walmart, then get upset we say we wont touch that tire. At that point it becomes a liability. Why not spend $10 and get it fixed right the first time? These are what Walmart uses.

plug patch combo.jpg

I have used patchplugs like the one above without issue. You just need to break the tire down to do it. The stop n go tire plugger for roadside 5 min fixes works great. I have one in every vehicle.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Plugs are not acceptable repairs according to the Rubber Manufactures Association. I've seen countless DIY attempts and they failed. Then they bring them to Walmart, then get upset we say we wont touch that tire. At that point it becomes a liability. Why not spend $10 and get it fixed right the first time? These are what Walmart uses.

I had WM fix a flat shortly after buying some new Hankooks. Their flat repair worked great for the entire life of the tire which was 60k miles and over 5 years. So yes I'd go that route again.

Around here, the 'name-brand' tire places won't plug a tire. They'll only patch them (remove tire from wheel and apply the repair patch to the inside of the tire). Even then, 9 out of 10 times, "That hole is too close to the sidewall. We can't repair that."

I do know (from personal experience) that many of the used-tire guys around here will plug tires.

Plugs are not acceptable repairs....

But they were just fine for decades. Don't get me wrong, it was the only practical and affordable option for a long time but it was no doubt also deemed just fine and safe at the time and remained so. No doubt tires were "thicker" too so there was a lot more rubber to grab on to. Are patches or this thing you posted better ? I'm sure they are.

They have worked for years. Don't give me that nonsense about the belts rusting either, most people will mile out a tire before that becomes a concern. The entire automotive industry seems to be based around getting you in the door so they can upsell you. Tires are no different.

Originally Posted by JTK
If you have the ability to plug it yourself, why not? Shops around me will charge you $15-20 to do this. Others will charge $25-30 to dismount and install a fancier plug-patch.

Shops around here either do it for free or very cheap. Goodyear will plug a tire for free. Town Fair Tire also does it for free, but when I've gotten it done, they charge $4 to balance the tire afterwards. Goodyear does the plug and the balance completely for free.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Plugs are not acceptable repairs....

But they were just fine for decades. Don't get me wrong, it was the only practical and affordable option for a long time but it was no doubt also deemed just fine and safe at the time and remained so. No doubt tires were "thicker" too so there was a lot more rubber to grab on to. Are patches or this thing you posted better ? I'm sure they are.

You got to realize i'm probably one of the youngest members on this forum. I wasn't around for those times. Everything was different in those times. SOME things have changed mostly for the better.

Side story:
This summer when I was working, and we had a late 60s Mercury something come into the shop for new tires. I was really surprised to find tubes in those tires. Apparently the last time the tires where changed the owner said it was the late 70s early 80s. (I thought that was something not used since the 40s). Yet I don't see anyone on this forum ever suggest tubes.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
They have worked for years. Don't give me that nonsense about the belts rusting either, most people will mile out a tire before that becomes a concern. The entire automotive industry seems to be based around getting you in the door so they can upsell you. Tires are no different.

You sound like some customers I've had to deal with.

I said that ive seen A LOT of failed attempts at fixing leaks with those things. Then the customer gets mad when the shop won't touch them.

What if a customer doesn't mile out a tire before the rust problem? Tire separates on the interstate and kills the family? No Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Is there any real advantage to taking a tire with a nail or screw in it to a tire shop to do a 'professional' repair? Are the materials or processes they use any better than what I can get from a Walmart repair kit?

To be clear, I'm just referring to a simple plug job in the center of the tread, nothing near the sidewalls and nothing structurally questionable.

The tire should have a proper patch on the inside of the tire. I say should. Can you get away with a plug? Probably.

IMO the RMA plug/patch repair is a superior repair to a rope/string type plug. And DT does it for free for everyone, so even if one doesn't agree, there's nothing to lose.

That said, before DT came to the area I used diy string repairs with no issues. Now though, any puncture goes to DT for repair or tire replacement if in a non-repairable area.

If you know what you are doing, go for it. But because you are even asking, I would get it repaired professionally...

I would take it somewhere to get it professionally repaired. I take mine back to Costco where I got them and they do it for free (included with tire installation fee so not really free).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back