tire plug oddity

Hello guys,

yesterday, I got a nail in my tire and plugged it, but something odd happened. So, after I plugged it, I decided to fill it up to 50 psi and add more soap just to make sure it was completely sealed. well, it still had a tiny leak in it. I waited an hour to see how bad, and it dropped down to 47 psi. I thought, okay, I got a spare vehicle, I just take care of it on another day as it was getting late. this morning, checked the air pressure again, and it didnt drop any more beyond the 47 psi from last night, so I decided to use more soap, and the leak is gone. I dont understand how a plug can leak at first then seal itself?

Possible that the pressure pushed material enough to seal the leak.

I've always plugged the tire and then immediately drive on it to generate heat in the plug. My opinion is that it squishes the plug around and completes the sealing and it creates the heat the plug needs in order to vulcanize.

Of course, that only applies to the sticky rope plugs.

Just curious, did you coat the plug with rubber cement before plugging? The last several sticky plug packages I've bought no longer include the cement with the plugs, but I've always been skeptical about getting a good seal without the glue.

Just curious, did you coat the plug with rubber cement before plugging? The last several sticky plug packages I've bought no longer include the cement with the plugs, but I've always been skeptical about getting a good seal without the glue.

yes, I did. My dad bought an 8 oz container a few years ago. we patch so many tires where im at that it makes since to buy Materials in bulk.

Maybe the plug wasn't big enough...don't plugs come in different sizes (diameters)?
I don’t think this is the case. If anything it was to big. It was a tiny nail. It was harder than normal to get the first tool in to clean the hole out. The plug is sized to that tool (sorry don’t know what it’s called).

I don’t think this is the case. If anything it was to big. It was a tiny nail. It was harder than normal to get the first tool in to clean the hole out. The plug is sized to that tool (sorry don’t know what it’s called).

Safety Seal has slim plugs for small punctures like this that using their heavy duty tools there is no need to ream the tire out, just use the needle.
I hate reaming the tire unles it really needs it, hearing all the cords being cut and causing more damage and a bigger hole than the small nail did.
Using these is like a harmless repair, they do work great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safety Seal has slim plugs for small punctures like this that using their heavy duty tools there is no need to ream the tire out, just use the needle.
I hate reaming the tire unles it really needs it, hearing all the cords being cut and causing more damage and a bigger hole than the small nail did.
Using these is like a harmless repair, they do work great.

thank you for the tip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back