Tire Mounting & Balancing - Mom & Pop v. Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as soon change my own tires on my car when I can. I usually have two sets of tires for the cars. One winter one summer.

Don't have to worry about the monkey over tightening the lugs either.

I had the most recent set of tires I bought online mounted at Walmart.
The guy doing the work took his time, gave me the option of using tape weights or flange weights, mounted my asymetrical tires with the correct orientation and did not mess up the TPMS although I had rebuild kits installed. He used a torque wrench as well.
When having either asymetrical or directional tires mounted I always mention this to the installer just to avoid any misunderstanding.
The price was competitive with the local mom & pop I usually use and includes lifetime balance and rotation.
I tried Wally this time because I needed the tires on right now, since the car (our Forester) had experienced a blowout on one of the factory Yokohamas at 56K.
I had really liked the Yokos up until then.
Fortunately, I had a set of Pure Contacts ready to go in the garage.
Walmart will also order any tire that might strike your fancy.
Based upon my experience with this TLE, I'd go there again, although I'll also throw some work at the local shop.
The TLE was busy with oil changes, and the price they had for a change with QSGB was so low it almost wouldn't pay you to do it yourself, although most of us would anyway.

Quote:
I now just buy new steelies every time I order tires from discountt tire direct.

I'm keeping this idea in mind next time. It sure would make things easier. I'm also considering driving the 200 miles round trip to buy at the DT in Tallahassee.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
N2 in tires is a waste of time and money.

Not for the tire dealers who SELL nitrogen. Without me knowing about it, the local car dealer charged my mom $40 a tire to put nitrogen in each one. I had a long talk with her afterwards. I used to have a high regard for this dealer.

Thing with wally is that they dont carry very many of the better tires, and at least some are store brand, which I wouldnt trust or at least desire to have on my car.

Wal-Mart TLE is the only place around here that's gotten tire pressure's right. *Everybody* else pumps them up into the 40s.. stock pressure is 30/32. They've always been quick and balancing has been good.

It's about all I go to Wal-Mart for anymore.

Walmart will order in any tire your heart might desire.
You aren't limited to what they stock and you can always have them mount your own online purchased carry-ins.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Walmart will order in any tire your heart might desire.
You aren't limited to what they stock and you can always have them mount your own online purchased carry-ins.

Not what I was told when I requested a quote for Primacy MXM4 for our VW. They could only order and sell the MXV4, which isnt what I wanted.

Oddly, I asked for and got a quote for the exact Primacy I was considering for our Forester.
I ended up buying Pure Contacs online.
Maybe the Walmart I went to just has more savvy folks working in the TLE?

There aren't any local tire shops around here that will touch something you did not buy from them. I'm left with WalMart.

Since neither of my vehicles has the stock sized tire on it ... makes it interesting.

Around here you're looking at least $60 to have 4 tires mounted and balanced, $60 being a very good deal. From when I've shopped around, average price is around $80-$90 to have 4 tires mounted and balanced. Obviously the price will depend on the size of the tire and sidewall, but this is for 17" and 18" tires. $28 is an absolute steal.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Oddly, I asked for and got a quote for the exact Primacy I was considering for our Forester.
I ended up buying Pure Contacs online.
Maybe the Walmart I went to just has more savvy folks working in the TLE?

Interesting. The guy seemed rather with it and up on the models of tires... Who knows.

IMHO the Indy's are taking a risk mounting tires. In potential damage or comebacks. The thing about Walmart is TLE is simply something to keep you in the store and shop for other items. It is not their profit center. Walmart an amazing legal team who can tell you to go pound sand when something goes arry. They also carry a nice inexpensive insurance policy compared to an indy. Poor indy is not in great position.

When you get a bad tire from mail order(happened to me) do you blame the indy for mounting issues first, mail order house or tire maker. A hassle IMHO for the amount they charge. At the same time you are sitting in there shop.

I only will buy tires mail order if they come mounted/balanced on rims (typically winter ones).

That all being said if I were to use mounting I would use Walmart to do it. You at least don't feel like you are taking away from anyone's lively hood.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Walmart unfortunately only mounts OEM sizes...

There's a local husband and wife shop I use. . . . The wife is a very pretty 25 year old...who's rapidly aging due to drug use but really sweet. . . .

How interesting. Tell us more. . . .

Quote:
Poor indy is not in great position.

No, they sure are not, and this is why I tried to give a local shop my business. But, honestly, most of them really acted like they didn't care about earning my business. Not that Walmart went out of their way, but their low price signed the deal.

In all, 4 Cooper CS4 tires with new valve stems shipped, mounted, and balanced at Walmart cost me a grand total of $396 out of pocket with $90 in rebates headed my way.

BTW - the Cooper CS4s I got are coded as made in Tupelo, MS.

Are nearly going to pull the trigger on a set of tires for our VW. They have a bit more tread left at 57k miles, but the $70 rebate is on now...

Called costco, got a price. Called the local tire shop, he couldnt match the price. He said there isnt enough markup...

Bummer. I like the shop, but the price difference is a lot, like over $100.

Ill go there to look at my strut bearing though...

Free nitrogen fill up is included with the Costco tire installation package. I've heard nothing but good things about them. Walmart not so much especially with my experience there. Young guy installed them in 25 minutes on a slow afternoon. One of the plastic hubcaps was pushing against the valve stem. Other tires had slow leaks around the rim. Took the car back and had an older tech re-do everything. Took him two hours with the leak test on each tire.

At the Ford dealer I asked if I could bring my own tires in for install and they said yes. It's $60 and I found out later they use the Hunter Road Force balancer there. So for me I'll try the Toyota dealer, Ford Dealer, or Costco next. The closest DTD to me is an hour and half away which is where I ordered the tires from.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Walmart unfortunately only mounts OEM sizes...

There's a local husband and wife shop I use. . . . The wife is a very pretty 25 year old...who's rapidly aging due to drug use but really sweet. . . .

How interesting. Tell us more. . . .

Sounds like some inbred old perve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back