Tire gauge - am I being too picky?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a "nice" new tire gauge -- an Accu-Gage 100 PSI dial with a pretty big face and a nice flexible hose. I wanted another gauge for the garage that would be easy to use and accurate, and this one came recommended.

It seems like a nice unit, but I went to compare it to the other two gauges I have and it reads a little different. Both other gauges are a cheap auto store gauges that I've had for a few years, one is a dial and the other is a higher pressure pencil type. They both read spot on at 35 PSI in my test case and the new one read 33 PSI.

My guess is the older two gauges are accurate, since they match, but of course that's not necessarily the case. If this new one is off then it's about 5% which seems poor for a $20 tire gauge. Even if 33 PSI and 35 PSI are close in practice, seems like it should be better to me.

Agree or disagree? I'm tempted to go by a tire shop and see if I can compare it to a calibrated gauge (assuming the shops actually take care of their stuff), or call up the manufacturer and see what they say.

wouldn't worry about it. as long as its repeatable.

you will just know to add +2

Originally Posted By: Rand
wouldn't worry about it. as long as its repeatable.

you will just know to add +2

Is it minus 2 PSI with the new gauge, if the other are accurate ?

I have tried to baseline gauges I have over the years and still am lost. Maybe I need to get a digital that is rated to be accurate to a couple percent and then compare my none digital ones to it.

I have several hand held pencil styles gauges that seem to be accurate with one another. I use them with confidence and adjust according to my butt and how the vehicle feels while driving.

I don't use my tire pressure gauges as gospil, only as a guideline for the way my vehicles ride & handle and too, the way my tires wear.

Once in awhile, I'll check them with one another. I leave one in each vehicle and in the garage.

The tire pressure will vary more than that with temperature changes. A couple of psi either way won't make or break you. The tread wear pattern is the best indicator; If the center of the tire wears out first, the pressure needs to be lower.

yep, repeatable results is the best to aim for. Your most accurate gauge is going to read different dependent on the ambient temperature, exposure to the sun/warmth, etc.....general rule of thumb is 1 psi for every 10'F change according to some tire manufacturers.

Pencil gauges are typically the least accurate especially the ones with more of a flat slider than a square slider.

Its best when buying a mechanical gauge to get one that covers your intended needs but not much higher. So a 0-60 for cars and trucks would be better than a 0-100.

Originally Posted By: pcoxe
The tire pressure will vary more than that with temperature changes. A couple of psi either way won't make or break you. The tread wear pattern is the best indicator; If the center of the tire wears out first, the pressure needs to be lower.

Indeed!

Originally Posted By: Donald
Pencil gauges are typically the least accurate especially the ones with more of a flat slider than a square slider.

Its best when buying a mechanical gauge to get one that covers your intended needs but not much higher. So a 0-60 for cars and trucks would be better than a 0-100.

Good Advise!

Last edited:
Here's how I determine how accurate my gauges are.

When I get a new motorcycle tire mounted and balanced, the guy always leaves it at 40psi, so I can check the accuracy of all of my gauges against his.

He races motorcycles, so I'm betting that his tire gauge was expensive and is accurate...

The new gauge reads lower than the old ones (so it would be +2), so if it's "wrong" using it would lead to marginally higher pressure (which is the good direction to be off IMO). I know the +/- 2 PSI isn't a deal breaker, it's more that I feel like the "nicer" gauge should at least agree with the cheaper ones for its price, if the cheaper ones are accurate. They could both be off for all I know.

But I wasn't sure if maybe I was just spoiled for having two gauges that actually agree with each other and this is just the way it works!

I think I will call or email the manufacturer and see what they say.

Originally Posted By: Donald

I didn't know that.

I like 0-100 because we've got a truck and horse trailer that take > 60 PSI, and compact spare tires tend to be rated at 60 PSI. Incidentally, my older dial gauge is a 60 PSI one and the pencil that agrees with it is a 120 PSI. I wouldn't think higher range would affect pencil gauges much.

I don't think you're being too picky, as it is a solid state device that has been used for decades.
I bought a Slime brand gauge (the one with the rubber hose) maybe 4 years ago and then two more recently and tested all three, and the results were dependent on the battery voltage: lower battery voltage read lower pressure for all three gauges. I also tested one against a 'reference' gauge, and it was within 0.5 PSI.

Unless you buy a gauge that is certified and has a certificate of calibration you are dancing in the dark trying to determine the accuracy of one against others.

49.gif

Hello, Prize goes to Trav.
Saying that, I took all the gauges I could find; 2 solid feeling ones with hoses and round needle gauges and 7 pencil style (3 households worth), and measured them all against a base pressure established by one of the solid feeling ones.
They all matched! One was completely out of line so I tossed it.
Entirely unscientific, I know, but somehow fulfilling. Kira

How about comparing one to those fancy air machines at some places that adds and removes air to get it perfect, then beeps.

What accuracy is really needed? This week alone the outside temp went from single digits to 50s. Certainly that will effect tire pressure. I do check my tires, but not daily.

I ended up calling the manufacturer and was directed to send it in to be recalibrated under warranty. He said these gauges should generally be accurate to about 2% at ~30 PSI, and took my word for it that it was off 5% based on my other gauges. Should be getting it back sometime next week I'd guess.

Send it to a calibration lab and pay for a calibration. That is the only way to find out it's true accuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back