Tire for mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

XS650:

I'll take losing the fron to losing the rear any day. If you lose the front, the cars tends to continue going straight. If you lose the rea it tends to spin. ...
May I have your license number so if I see you behind me in the rain I can pull over and let you pass?

When I have to slam on my brakes, you're going straight ....

That would make you vulnerable since you'll be sideways
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

If you believe that locking up the fronts first is bad you had better check your car's design. Cars in general are setup to lock fronts first, even with abs and other computer aids. It keeps the stoping more stable and keeps you going straight ahead. If you lock the rear first you are in trouble because you are not going to go straight ahead and you will quickly become unstable. In a panic stop it's critical that the rears guide the car through out the stop. In racing when a driver locks the fronts he goes straight ahead, whereever that leads. If a driver locks the rears that usually means a spin. Rally drivers use locking the rears to turn sharply and when they misjudge the turn, it makes for a wild ride that takes them straight off the course. So, if you don't like the idea of locking the fronts first you had better build your own car.

The peugeot brothers were investigating braking systems, using bicycles, by throiwing a broom handle into either the front, or the back wheel. They determined that rear wheel braking (on a bicycle) was optimal...on a bicycle.

In cars, having had a number of rear wheel lock-ups, and a few more front wheel lock-ups, I'll take a front wheel lock up anyday.

[mythbusters moment]take a matchbox car, and a 3/4 length of duct tape.

Tape over the front wheels, simulating a front wheels locked condition. Push acrsoss a smooth floor, like tiles or timber...observe.

Tape over the rear wheels, simulating a rear wheels locked condition. Push across a smooth floor...observe[/mythbusters moment]

At least with front wheels locked I don't have to look over my shoulder to see what I'm backing into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back