Tire dressing stained my driveway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to washing the vehicles, and decided to use some tire dressing that I had purchased some time ago. I washed and dried the tires and rims, and then sprayed the dressing right on the tire as the instructions said to do. Tires looked great I thought... until I tried to hose off the over spray of the dressing. Turns out, I was using a petroleum base dressing (clear, thick liquid- Eagle One I think) that stains concrete and asphalt. Very annoying!

So I researched this, and there seem to be three basic schools of thought;

1) Apply petroleum-based tire dressing with an applicator only, never spray (for the reason listed above).

2) Use a water-based tire dressing knowing it won't last as long (and seems to have mixed success with the staining issue).

3) Tire dressings are bad as they mess with the tire's chemistry and should be avoided altogether.

So which is it? Do water-based tire dressings stain driveways? Should tire dressings be avoided altogether? I don't want to create any more staining than has already occurred and certainly don't want to damage my tires.

Thanks.

As you have learned, it stains your driveway.

If you want to use tire dressing, then I would suggest driving your car onto the road and applying on the road. Better the stains there then on your property. That's what I do.

If you live on a busy street then drive to the nearest public parking lot or side street and apply it there.

Regards, JC.

Last edited:
I never use the spray-on. It does indeed get on the driveway and never washes off.

Use an applicator so that you can apply directly to the tires. There are a lot of choices based on the tire size, and some are even curved to ensure an even coat. An old rag works fine, too.

How about the concept of water-based vs petroleum based dressings? And does tire dressing harm the tire itself either way??

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
How about the concept of water-based vs petroleum based dressings? And does tire dressing harm the tire itself either way??

I can't comment on question number one, but no, dressings generally do not hurt the tire. They protect it from oxidation (browning).

I have used Meguiars Hot Shine before, many many times, and it has never stained the driveway.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I have used Meguiars Hot Shine before, many many times, and it has never stained the driveway.

Did you use the foam or spray? Did you use an applicator or just spray it on and then hose down any overspray on your driveway?

I bought a set of those anti-stress pads from Harbor Freight, the kind that you put next to your work bench and stand on, and they have edges that interlock with each other so they don't come apart when moved around.

Anyway, there are four separate pads per package, and I just put one in front of each tire when I wash and detail my car in the driveway, driving forward on top of them before I begin so I can avoid the issue you had with the staining of the concrete.

One question about your driveway, are you able to see the stains all the time or only when the concrete is wet? At some point in the past I stained the [censored] out of my driveway with some tire dressing, but I cannot see the stains unless it is raining or the concrete is otherwise wet. Seems odd to me, but what do I know.

I find that if I go out before a good rain and paint some dawn dish detergent on the pavement(maybe an hour or so before) the rain and soap pull fresh oil out of the cement pretty well.

Originally Posted By: SwedishRider
Originally Posted By: gregk24

Did you use the foam or spray? Did you use an applicator or just spray it on and then hose down any overspray on your driveway?

I use the Hot Shine also and spray my tires on my concrete driveway, sure it will stain but after about a week under the sun it fades away, i'll spray down the spots after moving the car and leave it at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back