Tire dilemma...need your advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 3 tires with reasonable tread and one with worn outer edges due to previous owner's not keeping the tire properly inflated. I tried to get one new tire from Walmart and run it along with my spare (which is perfect tread but need to start using before dry-rotting destroy it.) The problem is that Walmart doesn't carry 265/75/15 which is what my 94 Bronco use. It doesn't have the 235/75/15 stock but rather a larger version found on later Broncos.

I went to Merchant and they want to charge me $165 for one tire size 265/75/15. We're talking about regular Goodyear Wrangler that Walmart sells for 78 dollars for the 235/75/15. I asked what's their price is for the 235/75/15 and they list it at $145. Their price is a lot more expensive and they don't match price because they will find a reason to say two tires are different some how. Needless to say, I'll never buy tires from Merchant.

The dilemma is that I need to replace that worn tire before going in for inspection later this month. I plan to only drive 2500 miles on average so I can't justify throwing away 3 good tires and replace all 4 tires at Walmart. I don't know what is considered acceptable wear but the 3 good tires I have now have decent tread, probably about 1/4 left. That is good enough for accoasional errands.

My options are:

1) Put the spare tire on where the worn tire is and go in for inspection. Then swap back since I don't drive that much, only once a week to the dumpster to throw 3 bags of trash weighting less than 6 pounds total. I am going to drive it once a week just to keep things lubricated. It is the same day I plan to use the vehicle for around town so we're talking about less than 30 miles total at low speed.

2) Get a used tire from used tire place and hope that it cost under 40 dollars out the door.

3) Get 1 new tire and use that along with the spare tire for the rear and take one good rear tire to use it as spare tire.

4) Get 4 new rims and put 4 new Goodyear Wrangler at 235/75/15 from Walmart. Rims will be about 90 dollars for the aluminum stuffs looking like steelies. Then take existing wheel set to use in winter and potential off road.

5) Get 4 new rims and put 4 new tires but buy the very aggressive off-road version of Goodyear Wrangler at about $160 each and get 4 rims for that. Put the new wheel set on to get pass inspection and switch back to existing setup for local use. Then when the weather gets bad or I am doing road trip, put the good stuffs on.

Please advice.

Replace the tire with the least expensive, new, properly sized tire you can find.

Regardless of the amount or mileage you drive, the only thing btw'n you and eternity are your tires...that's not an exaggeration (see: Ford Explorer and Firestone), don't skimp on safety. And for goodness sakes, don't even consider a used tire..that's like putting on a used condom, IMNSHO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Noey
And for goodness sakes, don't even consider a used tire..that's like putting on a used condom, IMNSHO.

Wow lol

Option 1 for now and for inspection later this month. When you need to buy new tires, keep the tire with the most tread as spare.

I looked on discount Tire Direct and found Goodyear Wrangler SRA 265-75-15s for $139 shipped plus you would need it mounted and balanced ($15-20 or so). Tirerack has it for $126 plus ship ($20+) plus mounting locally. I don't know anything about Merchant, but their prices aren't way out of line with others. I think I would look at the build date on the tire to figure out how old the other 3 tires are before buying just the one tire.

Tires, like oil, wear out with time...oxidation degrades the rubber. I would replace all 4 if it were my truck.

I would look at the date code as well to determine the age of the other 3.

The price difference between a 235/75R15 and a 265/75/15 is going to be substantial regardless of brand. The latter is a much bigger tire with lot more material in its construction.

IF you're going to replace just one, make sure it is the same brand, model and tread design as the other 3 or you're asking for evil handling and an unsafe truck...

Originally Posted By: Unearthed
And for goodness sakes, don't even consider a used tire..that's like putting on a used condom, IMNSHO.

Wow lol

He bought 5 used tires with the used car purchase!

I don't see what the big deal about buying used tires is. You can see pretty much any issue with the tire when it is off the rim...and as long as it mounts and balances properly I don't see an issue.

Replace the tire with the least expensive, new, properly sized tire you can find.

Regardless of the amount or mileage you drive, the only thing btw'n you and eternity are your tires...that's not an exaggeration (see: Ford Explorer and Firestone), don't skimp on safety. And for goodness sakes, don't even consider a used tire..that's like putting on a used condom, IMNSHO.

Its good that on this site people have no clue what they are talking about. It Makes me feel smart. Not only are used tires fine ,but help the environment. Since wranglers are so common, call around. Somebody will have your match that is probably about the same age and wear. They even guarantee them.
You can look on craigslist too . this is what I found in your area.

L@@K ---USED TIRES-- - $35 (Springfield)
Date: 2011-01-31, 12:49AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

$$$$$Free Mount Service$$$$

Only $35/- Each for Gently used Tires Guaranteed to Pass VA inspection...

X-TREME TIRE SALES HOURS MONDAY THRU SATURDAY 9:00AM-7:00PM
14158 WILLARD RD SUNDAY 8:00AM-4:00PM
CHANTILLY VA 20151
703-622-1777 (CALL OR TEXT) EDUARDO
703-657-0044 OFFICE/FAX

Call Us 8am to 7pm

@ 703-337-4440

7702 F Backlick Road, Springfield, VA

2500 miles a year? I'd get a used tire and call it a day if your OK with running your other tires at 1/4 tread depth. When you go to replace them I'd get 4 used tires, as you are never going to wear tires out, they will just harden up eventually.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Unearthed

Wow lol

He bought 5 used tires with the used car purchase!

I don't see what the big deal about buying used tires is. You can see pretty much any issue with the tire when it is off the rim...and as long as it mounts and balances properly I don't see an issue.

and you can't tell that by looking at it.

I say for your use used tires would be fine.Shop the major tire shops in your area they sometimes have better quality(as in more tread better case quality) used tires for sale.Was in a Merchants tire a couple weeks ago for an emergency flat repair on the wifes Trailblazer,they had a set of Michelins used for about half the price of new ones.They had pulled them off to replace with a bigger size and new wheels on a pickup they wouldn't fit anything i had or i would have taken them home.Sales rep said they had less than 500 miles on them and i believe him.
49.gif

Originally Posted By: mpvue
Originally Posted By: dishdude

and you can't tell that by looking at it.

And it no different with a new tire. 5-10% of new tires have defects which shorten their lives and you can not see those either.

Originally Posted By: chad8

Its good that on this site people have no clue what they are talking about. It Makes me feel smart. Not only are used tires fine ,but help the environment.

And I like participating in a site with that knowledge..it helps me confront those lacking common sense.

What's visible on a tire isn't necessarily indicative of the structural soundness of the tire itself..sorta like looking at, or listening to someone on a website and trying to determine their credibility based on their ego or attitude. Especially a stranger. 5-10% odds on a new tire being problematic are a lot more confidence inducing than some orphan tire with an unknown history on your car hurtling down the highway at 60mph.

Get yourself a new tire and call it a day. Or better yet, get 4 new tires, and rest assured that those 2500 miles will be safe ones. Just think how long you'll be keeping the car and not needing to worry about tires.

Used tires, geez....What next? Used oil?

Last edited:
ever since seeing a defective tire tag on a tire ready to be sold as a used tire, I would not buy used tires.
until you mount and air up the tire you may not notice a goose egg, or a belt problem, or even slight out of round conditions.
I'd say your best bet is to use your spare for the inspection, then when you can replace all four with new tires and keep the best old one as a new spare.

Used tires, geez....What next? Used oil?

It was called Used Car, the new name is Pre-Owned Car. There is no more Used Tires, it's called Pre-Owned Tires and there is a new "Certified Pre-Owned Tires" sold by high end tire dealers.
grin2.gif

Oh #1 for sure, considering the minimal way you use your vehicle. After the inspection, simply reinstall the one with the worn edges, and add 5-7 extra PSI for good measure. This will keep the full middle tread contacting the road, as opposed to the edges. Been there, done that, zero problems!

Why would you need new rims with the 235s? If the current ones are either 15x7s or 15x8s (likely), you can use 235/75R15s no problem. I'd go with a wider tire if you had 15x10s, but I doubt that's the case.

Check out some other tire places and look online. If you find a new tire on Craigslist or eBay that's the correct size, you could just taken it in and only pay for mounting/balancing. That should be around $20 or $25 for just one wheel + whatever you pay for the tire.

Personally, I've been happy with Firestones for the past few years. They cleaned up their act after the Wilderness fiasco. I've had four sets of Destination tires with no problems to speak of. They are pretty inexpensive too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back