Tire Detailing Poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more vote for Westley's Bleache-White. You have to brush a little bit compared to the spray-on hose off cleaners, but it gives a more normal looking tire when it's done. Glossy tires are for slot cars...
tongue.gif

I've thought of trying 303 after the Westley's but I been to lazy too far...

I just tried the 303 and was happy with the results. I've been using Meguiar's Vinyl & Rubber #40 for years and also like the way it turns out. Both do not make the tires shine. I don't know if I'll keep using the 303 as it is almost twice the price of the #40. Maybe if I found it in gallon jugs at a large discount i would consider it.

long haul tire seal and shine will not collect dust and dirt. it makes your tire slick. it also makes the tire look like new, not glossy and greassy look, just black and slick. autozone has a sample pack of about 4 products for 5.00. good day

mothers... its water base. stay away from oil base and silicone base products is what was told to me

Since 1981 I have used the Westley Tire Bleach on my white letter tires. Then after they dry I hit them with armor-all or some type of tire shine. Lately I have been using the Turtle Wax Platinum Tire shine and it really impressed me with the high gloss and how long it lasts. I have tried many things over the last nearly 25 yrs but this is what I normally use. If I am in a big hurry I will use the foaming tire cleaner/protectant.
Dave

Mothers FX Tire Shine after I wash the truck and wheels/tires with Eagle 1 Bucket-free-wash.

The Mothers FX is the best product that I've ever used. It has a high gloss finish, and best of all, it doesn't "fling" off all over my white truck.

Darryl
cheers.gif

I use a great product from Lexol called Vinylex protectant. It is for vinyl, rubber, and plastic. It gives the tires a rich new look without being too shiny. It has UV filters. If you want the shinier finish use two coats.

First, I wash the tire as the last part of a car wash.

I follow up applying just about anykind of tire cleaner with an application pad. Using an application pad keeps it from getting shiny, keeps it off the wheels, and give a nice clean look.

I don't like Westley's because it contains a bleach and makes black tires look grey.

Good call on the Westley's. The stuff has sodium metasilicate (strong detergent) and sodium hydroxide (very high pH cleaner) in it. It also has 2-BUTOXYETHANOL which is used as a solvent in spray lacquers, enamels, varnishes, and latex paints and as an ingredient in paint thinners and strippers, varnish removers, and herbicides. It is also used in liquid soaps, cosmetics, industrial and household cleaners, and dry-cleaning compounds.

Some pretty strong ingredients just to clean tires? I'd recommend something a little milder/safer.

I've used "One Grand ERV (external vinyl & rubber) Dressing" on a show car and my everyday drivers for about two years now. Tried many other products, this is the best IMO.

It has UV protection and does NOT leave surfaces shiny or wet looking (which I hate). Once the rubber/vinyl is clean, just wipe it on and it makes the surface look like brand new.

For tires and parts that are exposed to weather I apply it about once a month or so. It takes about two applications to work best. On interior parts, engine hoses, etc., one app every few months or longer works great.

I purchase it here, they seem to have the best prices: http://www.carcareonline.com/howto.aspx

Give it a try, it's really excellent stuff.

soap and water to clean, and a very light coat of megiuars endurance. just enough to give the tires a deep black look, not glossy.

How do you know which tire dressing is oil free and such? They don't have any info on the bottle. I just picked up eagle one shine.. sprayed and wiped, so it's not glossy but nice and black.. lets see how that last

quote:

Originally posted by drifter420:
How do you know which tire dressing is oil free and such? They don't have any info on the bottle. I just picked up eagle one shine.. sprayed and wiped, so it's not glossy but nice and black.. lets see how that last

Water based protectants are usually milky white in color and are... y'know... watery.

Solvent based protectants are usually clear, look and feel oily, sort of like baby oil.

I like to use my Meguiars APC 1:1 and a stiff bristle brush to clean my tires, then I follow with Meguiars #40 or TurtleWax's TireWax. I am more fond of Turtlewax's Tirewax as I find it gives a nice satin sheen I like. I apply either or product with a beater terry applicator, wait a few minutes, then buff with a beater bathroom towel. Here is an older pic I dug up after TurtleWax's TireWax. Forgive me for the quality, this was taken with an ordinary film camera, but it should give you an idea,,,AR
 -

[ July 27, 2005, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

quote:

Originally posted by bretfraz:

quote:

Originally posted by drifter420:

Water based protectants are usually milky white in color and are... y'know... watery.

Solvent based protectants are usually clear, look and feel oily, sort of like baby oil.

OK... so Eagle one tire shine is solvent based.. and after a good rain fall.. I can see streaks from rim outwards on the tire.. >=(

Guess as soon as I use it up.. I will look for water based from other brands.. MEguir probably.. they made good wax, and clay bar.

I also love Turtle Wax's Tire Wax, but I prefer a glossier look, so I also let it sit, but don't buff it so much. You can even wipe immediately after applying for a real toned-down look. Either way it doesn't spin off, lasts for a good while, resists rain, basically doesn't do all the bad stuff I find sprays do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back