Tire Detailing Poll?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone tried "Black Tire Paint". I looked at it a few months ago but since you had to buy a whole gallon I never got it. You just paint the stuff on the tires. It is water based and suppose to really dress up old tires - even covering up the hairline cracks in the sidewalls.

http://www.ytmag.com/articles/artint71.htm

I clean the tires with Eimann Fabrik tire cleaner. Gets the old rubber, dirt and residual dressing out and leaves a very clean, even finish. I follow up with Zaino 16 Tire Gloss. 1 coat, nice subtle, natural matte finish. More coats add gloss but I prefer the natural sheen. Lasts the longest of any dressing/protectant I have ever used. Has a UV40 sunscreen component and will not cause any "brown-out".

I do not put anything on my tires because I do not want it to interfere with my spirited driving/cornering. But back in the day when handling wasn't all that important, I used Meguiar's Endurance Tire gel.

See no one has mentioned a product I used 30 years ago, Kitchen Floor Wax. At that time kept seeing street rods with gloss black tires so asked what the coating was, guy told me to use floor wax. Nice shine on the tires. After a while had to strip off the floor wax just like you would on the floor or it would start building up and turning yellow. Don't think there was anything else to use then.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
I do not put anything on my tires because I do not want it to interfere with my spirited driving/cornering.

You're cornering fast enough to put the tires onto their sidewalls??

Sure.
grin.gif
grin.gif

cool.gif
Scrub with Westley's Bleache-White, rinse, and top with Armor-All. Been doing that for 25 years, tires on my daily ride look better than cars I've seen at car shows. Occasionally jack it up, take the wheels off, and do the same on the back side but only because I'm anal about it.
lol.gif

I use the lower gloss Meguiars Endurance or Black Magic tire wet gel. The Black Magic is about as shiny as I can stand. The Meguiars Enudrance is a lot more subdued.

I have been using Simple Green lately to clean my tires. I used Bleche-White for many years, but that stuff is almost too strong.

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
I use the lower gloss Meguiars Endurance or Black Magic tire wet gel. The Black Magic is about as shiny as I can stand. The Meguiars Enudrance is a lot more subdued.

I have been using Simple Green lately to clean my tires. I used Bleche-White for many years, but that stuff is almost too strong.

that mequires stuff...does dirt stick to it? thats the only thing i hate about glossy gels..

i use mequires vynal protectant which isnt gelly..and dries clean and black...but it dont really last long against dirt. especially brake dust, but it keeps the tire black

Now that the weather is colder and I don't feel like spending too much time outside cleaning my car, I bought a can of "No Touch" tire detailing foam. This stuff works great! I may just stop using Armor All on my tires alltogether now! This stuff is much faster to use.

no touch is probably the best consumer stuff available and its cheap(especially if you g2 cotsco). make sure you get the can with no petroleum distillates in them, bc its a waterbased formula that won't dry your tires out.

Tire foam tip:

Cut out a circular piece of cardboard about 1/2" larger in diameter (total) than your wheels and glue or tape on a $1 cabinet handle in the center. When you go to spray the tire foam just place the wheel shield over your wheel and just spray away. This eliminates any overspray from the tire foam that you would otherwise have to wipe off.

If your wheel center caps stick out far enough use folded over masking tape or some less sticky double sided tape to hold the shield on as you're working. It's less awkward this way.

Use an Eagle One tire dressing sponge, and of all things... STP Son-of-a-gun.

I have tried EVERYTHING and Son-of-a-gun works the best, by far.

Just put it on at night and do NOT wipe off excess, let dry overnight and it leaves a dark black without being to shinny.

Also if you wait until morning to drive, it will not "fling" all over the side of your ride.

Darryl

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:

quote:

Originally posted by Racerjk:
I use the lower gloss Meguiars Endurance or Black Magic tire wet gel. The Black Magic is about as shiny as I can stand. The Meguiars Endurance is a lot more subdued.

that mequires stuff...does dirt stick to it? thats the only thing i hate about glossy gels..

Yes, dirt will stick to your tires. All these claims gels will last after drving in the rain are false based on my experience. My tires always look like they need to be redone after driving in the rain.

You HAVE to let the Black Magic sit for a while on your tires, or it will sling bigtime. The Meguiars is not as bad, but it will sling also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back