Tire Change Over

Status
Not open for further replies.
For my 2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S...I just changed over from my summer 17" wheels/tires(RAGE Motif & G/Y Eagle LS) to my 16" OE steelies w/Pirelli P4's. I have had the P4's for four years now(winters only) but, this will be my 5th winter coming.

I bought them not only for their good reviews/ratings but, I was looking for an all-season tire that did well in snow/ice...Yes they do! NO, not like a dedicated snow/ice tire but, very good just the same. And I don't have to concern myself with, when I have to remove them after the winter ends.

Although I don't have many miles on the P4's(~18K miles) as my wife and I aren't putting many miles on either of our cars these days. Plus we have another "summer only car" that we have enjoyed for the last 32 years. The P4's should have ~22K-23K miles on'em by the end of winter, I'm thinking! Maybe more, who knows
smile.gif

Man, I love these P4's and they're really nothing to look at either! The sidewall is only OK looking and the tires seem a little skinny for their size(205-65-16). The tread pattern never looked like they could get through deep snow but, they do very well...Very Well!

I have yet to have'em rebalanced since they were installed because they don't need it. And the P4's alway track nice and straight on the hiwy regardless of how I do my tire rotation...NICE!

The P4's travel through the downpour of rain with confidence and I really love the 2 center rain grooves. They are only "T" speed rated but, handle much better than some "H" speed rated tires that I have had previously including larger size tires.

It was a pleasure to reinstall the P4 on my Altima and I really like these P4's on this Altima. KEY WORDS---"This tire for this car"!

The P4's always seem quiet although I have read reviews about tire noise. Smooth and vibration free add to the splender!
They're grippy too and have slowed down the wheel spin(from a standing start) from the torque 4cyl in the Altima which overwhelmed the OE Conti's and sometimes too, the Eagle LS's in the wet.

The P4's still have ~9/32nds in most places around the tire and one tires still has 10/32nds in the center.

These tires have been discussed alot in the past by myself and others but, please comment anyway! Or not!

Last edited:
I love FL! We owned a home in the Tampa/St.Pete's area for 18 years til our daughter went off to college in AZ. We still keep in touch with family & friend in the Tampa/St.Pete's/Clearwater area. I was just in Tarpen Springs in May'12 for the day while we visited family for a 2 week over trip.

Love FL but, I kind'a liked being out West too! So close(just a drive) to NV, NM & CA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
My only comment is to thank GOD I do not live in the frozen North anymore!

But really glad to hear a positive story.

I hate people who rub it in :p

Honestly, i don't mind the cold, I don't mind the winter, I don't mind the snow (I live in the snowiest city , apparently).

I DO NOT LIKE ROAD SALT.

I actually didn't mind winter as much when I lived on Upstate NY. Roads were cleared, people knew how to drive in snow, no big deal.

Down here, the threat of snow brings armageddon. Roads stink, drivers are reckless.

I had P4s. My only gripe is they were done at about 55k miles with regular rotations. Went back to Michelin.

I have the P4's currently on my 08' Forester. I've been very happy with the tire. They cost me $80 each shipped, for 215/60/16's. It's good to hear that they have some winter skillz in case I take too long to change to my dedicated winter steelies with Conti Pro Contact 3's, an excellent winter tire which I would buy again without hesitation.

My wife's Clio was just as solid in the snow on Avon ZV3's as my Volvo was on Goodyear winter tyres(UltraGrip 8). I suspect partly due to the heavy Diesel engine in the Clio and the relatively soft compound of the Avon's

The Avons wore quickly on the front and were replaced by Kumho kt17 tyres which have a harder compound but a very straight tread so the read Avons are on the front for winter. As I only work part time the wife can use the Volvo if weather gets really bad.

Diesel engined small hatchbacks really are little tractors in the snow.

I would like to add that I suspect little if no snow this year as I have a 4x4 in the stable, never had any snow when I owned Subarus or a little 4x4 Diahatsu Sportrak.

My saab came with P6 tires on it, and while I have dedicated snows from when I had a long commute, I was impressed the few times I had to run them (P6) in the snow, at how well they did.

My mistake, it is indeed P6's I have on the Forester. Too late to edit the post above.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I have the P4's currently on my 08' Forester. I've been very happy with the tire. They cost me $80 each shipped, for 215/60/16's. It's good to hear that they have some winter skillz in case I take too long to change to my dedicated winter steelies with Conti Pro Contact 3's, an excellent winter tire which I would buy again without hesitation.

That's a good price for P4's or P6's. I paid from DTD, $300 shipped($75/ea) but, that was Oct 2008.

I had the P4's on my old Buick. They were a little loud, but were a great tire besides that. Those things just plain stuck to the road. They were also still plenty legal at 75k miles on the set.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Originally Posted By: webfors

That's a good price for P4's or P6's. I paid from DTD, $300 shipped($75/ea) but, that was Oct 2008.

Bought them from the same place in June this year! Great deal and fast turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back