Tire bulge

I saw this while washing my daughter's car (2009 Sonata) this morning. The tire (Kumho Solus TA31) is at the proper inflation (33-34 PSI). The tire is only a couple years old with lots of tread remaining. What may have caused it? Is it safe to drive on it?

20240609_124926.jpg

Its ok for now, but it;ll certainly get worse.
Keep your eye on it and monitor closely.
This is caused by the belts separating in the sidewalls. Could be caused by a pothole, or not.

My dad who often bought cheaper brand tires had similar issues with his tires.

I don’t like that one from the pic. If no one has ever struck a curb then it would seem to be a defect.

I take that back everything online says not to drive with the bubble

Last edited:
I would be replacing it, if it was my daughter’s car. I would be if it was mine!

Only time I had a tire bulge it blew out a few miles later. About ripped from bead to bead.

Its ok for now, but it;ll certainly get worse.
Keep your eye on it and monitor closely.
This is caused by the belts separating in the sidewalls. Could be caused by a pothole, or not.

My dad who often bought cheaper brand tires had similar issues with his tires.
Well…It’s OK to drive to the tire store. No further.

I wouldn’t monitor - because this already has failed. It has belt damage. When it goes completely is unknown.

Would you like your daughter on the freeway at 70 miles an hour in rush-hour traffic when it blows?

Or would you like it to happen at 25 miles an hour while you’re driving the car to the tire store?

The good news is that the outer layer of rubber is cosmetic and protective, not structural. The bad news is that the pressure retaining liner inside the tire has failed and is leaking air pressure through the carcass of the tire. In general, a blister like that will grow over time, eventually burst and it's anybody's guess as to how quickly the tire will lose pressure. Most often, quite slowly. HOWEVER, there is always the risk of sudden pressure loss through the sidewall.

Poke a hole in the blister, if you don't want it to grow. The suggestion above is correct, drive to the tire store and replace the tire.

EDIT: I installed some Hankook HR-II tires on my old jag. Every one of them blistered, including under the tread! Horrible quality. Did not abuse the tires, and the replacement Michelin's have been superb.

I should have taken a picture-one of the older Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 1s on the front of my F-450 got a bubble big enough in the tread to make the tire bounce up & down when driving. Guess water intrusion rusted out the belts?? Still lots of tread left, didn’t hit anything either.

I wouldn’t monitor - because this already has failed. It has belt damage. When it goes completely is unknown.

Would you like your daughter on the freeway at 70 miles an hour in rush-hour traffic when it blows?

Or would you like it to happen at 25 miles an hour while you’re driving the car to the tire store?
I’d put on the spare, or remove it, let the air out, & take it to the tire store in another vehicle if possible. Wouldn’t want it to destroy a wheel well/fender or wheel on the way there!

I have experienced those bumps all over a set of Hancook tires on one of the wife's cars. When we then bought her last one I did not notice until too late it came with those same brand tires. They were said to be new from dealership. Within 12 months those tires also Hancooks had the same bulges on all (4) and they had to be replaced as I was not going to allow her to drive like that , especially with her going on 120mi round trips to get grandkids. I had zero receipts so not even a chance at any pro rated warranty claims etc....

I agree, it should be replaced.

Also, I don't have a daughter.

May want to consider the spare tire . If so , might want to check the T.P. before install . I forget to check it on occasion . Keep us informed .

Last edited:
Back