Tire Break-In

Always thought there was a kernel of truth to this, but as the proud owner of a new set of Contis I find that Continental actually recommends a tire break-in regimen. For the first 500 miles avoid hard starts/starts, drive at a moderate speed and avoid wet (!) roads. This allows manufacturing lubricants to wear away and “roughs up” the tread in an optimal way.

New tires do seem to squirm a bit initially, but I wouldn’t have thought it took 500 miles to get over it. Plus, I thought avoiding hard acceleration/braking was to prevent tire from slipping on the rim from mounting lubricants.

Learn something new every day…

Always thought there was a kernel of truth to this, but as the proud owner of a new set of Contis I find that Continental actually recommends a tire break-in regimen. For the first 500 miles avoid hard starts/starts, drive at a moderate speed and avoid wet (!) roads. This allows manufacturing lubricants to wear away and “roughs up” the tread in an optimal way.

New tires do seem to squirm a bit initially, but I wouldn’t have thought it took 500 miles to get over it. Plus, I thought avoiding hard acceleration/braking was to prevent tire from slipping on the rim from mounting lubricants.

We always debate engine break in - but IMO - brakes, suspension, lots of things need lighter treatment for a couple hundred miles anyway …

Last edited:
I just ran into this this past winter, new Toyo Celsius all weather, car in perfect alignment but it wandered a little bit at 60 mph. Between 500 and 1K it stopped. The Conti's and Pirelli didnt have this issue but the tread patterns are hugely different.

MY wife experienced the new tire with mold release. Factory Bridgestone Dueler Sport AS on her new Pilot at the time (November '18). They rate poor for snow anyway. Less than 100 miles on the Pilot and we had a 6" snow. Wife almost wrecked it coming home from work multiple times sliding down a couple hills. She works less than 2 miles from the house. She was crying and wanted to get rid of the truck. New Snows fixed that.

My Accord I wrote about Pirelli P7 AS2+. Sam's used too much lubricant. I took a 2500 mile road trip 2 days later. Drove easy, no hard stops or acceleration. Front tires slipped on the rim and threw off the balance. Made the second 1250 miles really kind of crappy to try and sleep. Luckily the tires didn't need too much weight originally and not crazy shaking, but enough to cause seat vibration and shake head slightly which made me nauseous.

Yes, new tires have mold release compounds. New tires also have waxes that have migrated to the surface. Those waxes are there to protect the tire in storage, so a new tire can be a bit slippery at first. Takes a couple hundred miles to be sure those have been worn off.

Needless to say, wet roads make the situation worse, and some pavements are worse than others. Some pavements are diabolical!

Now you may ask about racing tires. I have the impression that those generally don't have much wax, and mold release compounds are used sparingly. That means they are ready to use almost immediately and, in fact, the first run on racing tires is generally the quickest.

I just put some Crosscontact LX25s on my CX5 two weeks ago and have been diligently driving more to break them in and get past the 500-600 miles Continental recommends, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)

When I've had new Nittos, they actually were smooth to begin with (day they were installed) then proceeded to have an odd vibration that came/went during about 200-300 miles.. after that nothing, smooth.. Definitely a break-in period.

I just put some Crosscontact LX25s on my CX5 two weeks ago and have been diligently driving more to break them in and get past the 500-600 miles Continental recommends, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. ;)
How do you like them so far?

2 years ago, I went from 5 year old Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 summer rubber to a new set of 500 treadwear Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4s.

Everything felt fine leaving the tire shop and then I got on the highway. 65mph and they had SO much tread squirm that I thought the tire place disconnected my rear sway bar. It was incredible how loose the car felt.

Got it home and checked everything suspension related and of course, it was all fine. I just had never felt new tire squirm like that before. Took about a thousand miles for them to get settled in / for me to get used to them.

How do you like them so far?
The first set for the CX5, and is the second set of these tires overall. The first set I had were on my 2013 Sorento EX (also AWD), and I drove that thing all over and through all kinds of weather. I think I put 20-25k miles on them before I traded in the Sorento, and they were wearing evenly and on track to exceed the 60/65k mile warranty for me. I also rotate every oil change (5-6k miles).

I like the LX25s; they're responsive, grip well, handle what little snow and icy weather we get in the STL area, and otherwise do well in the wet weather. Both sets I've had were the V-Rated version.

I only have about 500 miles on my new set, still getting used to them on the CX5, but they seem like a good upgrade, they handle the bumpy STL roads well and otherwise ride very smoothly, though brand new tires should be smooth.

Yes, new tires have mold release compounds. New tires also have waxes that have migrated to the surface. Those waxes are there to protect the tire in storage, so a new tire can be a bit slippery at first. Takes a couple hundred miles to be sure those have been worn off.

Needless to say, wet roads make the situation worse, and some pavements are worse than others. Some pavements are diabolical!

Now you may ask about racing tires. I have the impression that those generally don't have much wax, and mold release compounds are used sparingly. That means they are ready to use almost immediately and, in fact, the first run on racing tires is generally the quickest.
Excellent informational resource from Continental as well:

Back