tips for driving at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Bitogers,
What is your trick/tip/experience to drive safely at night?

I wear glasses if it helps.

Thanks and happy motoring.

also what do you do when the oncoming vehicles (or the one tailgating) have really BRIGHTS?
like long phase, badly aimed LED/Halo...

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Hi Bitogers,
What is your trick/tip/experience to drive safely at night?

I wear glasses if it helps.

Thanks and happy motoring.

I usually turn on the headlights

A clean unblemished windshield. If oncoming traffic has brights, look at the fog (white) line, not much else helps.

also what do you do when the oncoming vehicles (or the one tailgating) have really BRIGHTS?

I put my brights on to blind the oncoming cars and cars that pass me when they have their brights on.

realol3 years ago (before I had cataract surgery) there was no way to drive safely at night. Is it possible you have that issue?

Originally Posted By: Al
realol3 years ago (before I had cataract surgery) there was no way to drive safely at night. Is it possible you have that issue?

who knows... i wear glasses from '85.
sometimes without glasses i have the "star" artifacts...
i hate dirty glasses

If you're nearsighted, the effects are much worse after dark, so if you need glasses to correct your vision, wear them.
I always do so and although I can legally drive during the day without correction, I always wear my glasses for driving.
Other than that, drive at speeds that are comfortable for you.
Tailgaters are much more irritating at night.
Ignore them or lose them, just as you would during the day.
With advancing age comes declining night vision. I've noticed this myself. Nothing to do other than accommodate to it while remaining safe on the road.
If you can avoid driving through unfamiliar areas at night, then do so.
Pretty hard during the northern winter, though.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

I put my brights on to blind the oncoming cars and cars that pass me when they have their brights on.

i had to put my clip-on sunglasses a couple times.
then there is the "black tunnel": night and rain= shiny black tunnel....

With stock Gen 4 lights I doubt they even notice, like the gnat on the elephant.

Each and every time, I hit them with my high beams until we pass. If they can arrogantly dish it out, they have to take it!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
With stock Gen 4 lights I doubt they even notice, like the gnat on the elephant.

Not! They furiously blare their horn at me many times, LOL.

I drive with Brights on, speed slightly lower in the Country areas, Lots of deer strikes this year around here. This worries me somewhat. Dayton,Ohio 2006 Crown Vic. Former Police car.

Have your next pair of glasses treated with anti glare coating- it's effects are most noticeable when driving at night. As far as oncoming hi beams go, focus on the fog line instead of the oncoming lights, you will not be blinded by them

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

They're actually pretty bright.

I also used to do it with my 2004 VW Beetle, it had even better lights.

Get a pair of yellow lens polarized made for night/rain driving. They are not cheap, but help quite a bit. I have a set of no prescription that I wear over contacts for night/rain. Cuts glare and eases strain.

Pick frames, select yellow tint and polarized lenses and have your prescription added. You won't regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back