Tip: "Reviving" a Cap-Style Oil Filter Wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to remove an oil filter using a cap-style oil wrench. Even though both the attachment and the filter were dry, it kept twisting off under torque, instead of turning the filter. It was very tight access, I was low on options.

So instead of running out for a new one, I decided to try to "revive" the grip of the wrench attachment.

With a hammer and center-punch, I went around to each "flat" and gave a punch from the outside. The metal cap steel is soft enough that a little bump results on the inside. Perhaps I also moved the flats inward too, but I doubt it, the steel is pretty thick. The idea was to give the filter some more "tooth", to make up for the paint that wore off over the years of usage.

Bingo, it worked on the first try, and continues to work well installing a new filter.

[ April 29, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

Good thinking. It is amazing how resourceful we can be when we have to be.

If you are oiling the gasket, and still need a wrench to get it a full turn or a little less after the gasket makes contact, fine. I always can get mine on by hand, but do need a wrench to loosen them. Actually I find my 16'' Channellocks work very well on everything except the cap to the filter element on my Ecotec. Since my 5/4 socket is half inch, I use my half inch breaker bar, but I remember the cap is plastic.

Usually just squishing them a little works just as well. But I personally don't own any kind of filter wrench. I can get all that I put on and 90% of others. The ones put on by bonehead oil change places I sometimes have to resort to the old .pipe wrench or screwdriver.
wink.gif

-T

There is a sharp piece of metal on this particular car (gen-1 CRV) that is right up against the filter and prevents twisting off by hand without cutting yourself
frown.gif

On all my cars I use a cap wrench attachment on ***

[ April 30, 2004, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: S2000driver ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back