Tip for Microsoft Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a tip for those who already use Edge. This thread is not for a debate about how good the browser is or if it should be used. Please keep that bull hooey out of this. I am trying to offer a useful tip to those who do use it and not start an argument over browser choice. Thanks.

I recently have started using Edge again( 2nd attempt )to see if many of the early issues and left out features and such that so turned me off the 1st time have been corrected. The jury is still out but it is better.

Anyway, one issue came up and I was about ready to go back to IE11 when I found how to deal with it in an online tech site. The issue involves adjusting the screen size/zoom.

I have MS and it has affected my vision. As a result I need the screen zoom a little larger than the normal 100%. In IE you had the option to increase it by 25% increments OR select Custom which let you do it by 1%. The custom feature was great because many times jumping 25% +/- is just too much.

I decided I needed to enlarge the screen in Edge as normal/100% is too small. Unfortunately, they only have a Zoom Tool that does 25% at a time. There is no Custom option as in IE. Bumping it to 125% on my system puts a lot of the content off the screen and I have to scroll left/right to see it all. That is a deal breaker for me.

I was ready to go back to IE11 but decided to do a search online to see if there might be an add on( extension )or some tweak I could do to get a Custom option? Turns out you can do it manually just like you can in other areas on your system( only effects Edge when Edge is open and you are in it )and Edge will actually retain the zoom level. Hold CTRL down and then use the wheel on the mouse. Every click/notch you turn the wheel up(+) or down(-) makes a 5% change in the screen zoom( it will actually show you what new % you are at in the Zoom Tool under Settings ).

While not as good as being able to make 1% changes as you could in IE it is a lot better than only having 25% changes available. My screen is now at 115% Zoom and I can see a lot better plus all content is displayed without having to scroll left/right.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Step one. Install Google's Chrome.
Step two. Delete Microsoft's Internet turd bucket, AKA Edge.
Step three. Live your life.

You must be looking at some outdated sites because responsive design would wrap text down not go off the side of page.

Good luck with your browser. Edge and IE11 are after thoughts in terms of web developers. Chrome is main one used for development out there. Our stance on IE11 and edge is if it functions pass.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

thumbsup2.gif

I don't know why it is people on THIS site can not seem to help themselves. It is like a disease = "iknowbetterthaneveryoneelseitis".

This thread is not about whether or not you like Edge( or IE ). It is a tip for those who do use Edge. Not one response here is on topic or contributes in anyway.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Good luck with your browser. Edge and IE11 are after thoughts in terms of web developers. Chrome is main one used for development out there. Our stance on IE11 and edge is if it functions pass.

I disagree and I actually do web sites. Chrome is very popular for sure but you develop as much for IE and Edge as you do Chrome. I actually make sure my sites function in IE/Edge, Firefox, and Chrome/Opera.

Again, nothing relevant in your response to what I posted.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta

Please tell us how you deleted / uninstalled Edge.
I quit using it the very first day, when I couldn't retrieve - nor would it list my prior visited websites using the left arrow next to the address bar. The nine websites I visited wouldn't list when I clicked the left arrow. So I had to click the left arrow nine times to get back to the website I needed.

This is Edge's default mode for this?.... plus the default mandates I construct my own homepage by digging thru settings?......OMG!

No thanks Edge. I'll stick with IE11 and Firefox. If IE11 ever departs, I'll load Chrome with Firefox.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Please tell us how you deleted / uninstalled Edge.
I quit using it the very first day, when I couldn't retrieve - nor would it list my prior visited websites using the left arrow next to the address bar. The nine websites I visited wouldn't list when I clicked the left arrow. So I had to click the left arrow nine times to get back to the website I needed.

This is Edge's default mode for this?.... plus the default mandates I construct my own homepage by digging thru settings?......OMG!

No thanks Edge. I'll stick with IE11 and Firefox. If IE11 ever departs, I'll load Chrome with Firefox.

That is one of the changes they made( i.e. no history in address bar on click )that makes me shake my head too? Why take the history out of the address bar? Just a change for change sake IMO.

However, with that said, you can view your browsing history in Edge...

1 - Click/Open the Hub ( dumbarse name but it is what it is - the 3 lines to the right of the Favorites Star )

2 - Then click on the History Icon( looks sort of like a refresh icon - 2nd from right once Hub is open )

This lists your browsing history.

Hope it helps.

I don't know what you mean about constructing the homepage so can't help there?

Edge can not be uninstalled. It is a core Windows component in Windows 10. All you have to do though is set another browser as your default( which I am sure you have done )and it won't ever bother you.

I hate having to relearn everything. Why they just couldn't leave the UI the same( i.e. like it has been in IE forever )and just make the improvements they have supposedly made with Edge is beyond me. I don't find their UI to be an improvement over IE. To me it takes longer to do things in Edge. I also don't feel it is faster than IE11 either? Seems the same to me. I feel like they have copied aspects of FF and GC for some reason. It is what it is though so I am trying to get used to it.

Last edited:
I would surely hope by now people would know how to use keyboard shortcuts and commands, especially the CTRL + Scroll to zoom in a page. Regardless that is as simply as googling it to find out.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
I would surely hope by now people would know how to use keyboard shortcuts and commands, especially the CTRL + Scroll to zoom in a page. Regardless that is as simply as googling it to find out.

In your zeal to be critical and insulting you missed the point. Edge will take the CTRL + Scroll zoom effect and apply it permanently to the browser screen. It isn't just a one time/temporary thing like it is when used elsewhere which is why I hadn't tried it before reading about it when I searched( i.e. discovered Edge actually retains the zoom level ). Once you scroll it up or down it saves the level you scrolled to. Also, as said it allows for a 5% zoom vs. a 25% zoom.

I was trying to give people an alternative to the limited built in zoom that is more like what was available in IE under custom zoom. But as is typical on BITOG these days someone always has to chime in and be insulting and rude. So way to go you win the BITOG tool of the day award and you are herby promoted to the ignore list.

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
It might have been a criticism but I find it hilarious how deeply you took it to go on a rant and add me to the ignore list.

It is like that for other browsers as well. I just did it on firefox and it saves the zoom setting. For this matter, again, I would hope that people would have the common sense that the action to get it zoomed in requires the opposite action (CTRL + Scroll back) to zoom out.

Last edited:
Firefox has been saving custom text size for each webpage/website, for 3-4 years now. Never needed to use any keyboard commands to adjust it either.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I don't know why it is people on THIS site can not seem to help themselves. It is like a disease = "iknowbetterthaneveryoneelseitis".

This thread is not about whether or not you like Edge( or IE ). It is a tip for those who do use Edge. Not one response here is on topic or contributes in anyway.

In the 9 days since the original post was made, no one has yet commented positively about Edge or the content of the post. Therefore, I deduce that no one who has seen the post thus far (440 views at this moment) cares enough about the post or Edge to make a positive comment about it. Perhaps the act of answering a request for help (with Edge or anything else) would be a more positive act than blindly throwing out a tip about Edge...or whatever the OP thinks others might find useful.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

In the 9 days since the original post was made, no one has yet commented positively about Edge or the content of the post. Therefore, I deduce that no one who has seen the post thus far (440 views at this moment) cares enough about the post or Edge to make a positive comment about it. Perhaps the act of answering a request for help (with Edge or anything else) would be a more positive act than blindly throwing out a tip about Edge...or whatever the OP thinks others might find useful.

Especially on an oil forum....

It seems to be quite common here. Low reading comprehension and rudeness. Often times together. Someone will post up a question about something and include most all the pertinent details and some yahoo will spout off something that has been included in the original post. That or the others have to chime in with how superior they are... "What? You loser! You can't afford to buy a new car in cash out of pocket? What have you been doing with your life? You should have worked harder, pulled yourself up by your bootstraps and went to college while working 3 full time jobs." Or "What? You eat that junk? How stupid can you be? I would never eat it! It's bad for your body, your teeth and will rot
your mind!".

This thread is no different. The o/p clearly stated that this is only a tip and to keep the bashing out- and the first three replies were bashing. How hard is it to not bash someone or something?

I can see wanting to add something like the bit about the feature already existing but instead of simply pointing it out, it had to be done all snarky. Ever hear of being constructive?

Don't get me wrong- I've done it too. Sometimes I have missed the obvious or have ripped into someone, but many here act like it's their life'so calling to be a **** or just plain don't read before replying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back