Timing the camshaft and TDC

Hi all,
I'm wondering how close to TDC I need to be when I'm timing the crankshaft with the camshafts?

I've finished changing the timing chain on my BMW X5. It's a M57N2 diesel engine. The procedure gets you to lock the crankshaft by putting a pin into a special hole on the flywheel. This locks the engine at TDC. Then you can take the old chains off, put the news ones on, and you've kept your timing (You can also check and adjust the timing alignment on the camshafts whilst the engine's locked at TDC.)
Here's my problem though:
1627432812807.jpg

The pic above shows how to lock the flywheel. But I ended up using a much thinner pin to lock it. Meaning I've got a bit of play and can go between positions 1-3. The procedure would state that the position at which I align the camshafts with the crankshaft would be #2. But from observing the first cylinder, it's actually closer to TDC at position #3.

Not sure whether to go with position 2 or 3. It's only a few degrees, does it matter?

-simt

Last edited:
Neither looks like it's even a quarter of a tooth off so I wouldn't worry about it. I may not be clear on what you're asking but assuming you will turn it over by had a few revolutions after it's done and can make sure all the timing marks line up again.

Doubt you're find that in the Auto Zone loaner bin. From the picture it looks like an ordinary drill bit would perform the same function. Comes in many sizes so one should fit just right.

Doubt you're find that in the Auto Zone loaner bin. From the picture it looks like an ordinary drill bit would perform the same function. Comes in many sizes so one should fit just right.
Yes a drill bit. Same thing applies to my old Honda when you are locking the balance shafts while installing the timing belt.

I did my Hyundai 2L turbo a couple of years ago and had to jam something under the cams to lock them in place when I put the chain on. Otherwise the two cam marks never lined up. Runs much better than before. I don't think they did that at the factory.

I would get the correct tool, either buy one or make it, a machine shop can turn this in 10 min.
This appears to be the one. BMW 112300.

Get the right tool to dial in the timing. This is one of those cases where fixing a cam/crank colleration code and beyond ain’t easy.

Back