timing chain 07 gmc sierra 1500

howdy

How long do gm timing chains last on 2007 gmc sierra 1500? it’s got a 120,000 and replaced all fluids, sterpentine belt, ac belt tensoiners, alternator, water pump and oil pan gasket. any other maintenance items you recommend doing.

I was doing some research prior to changing mine, and everything I kept finding stated the timing chain is rated for 200k. Someone like Clinebarger will probably come along and give better details/info.

I did change mine at 183k when it was apart for lifters. It was in good condition, but oil changes were fairly on time.

I was doing some research prior to changing mine, and everything I kept finding stated the timing chain is rated for 200k. Someone like Clinebarger will probably come along and give better details/info.

I did change mine at 183k when it was apart for lifters. It was in good condition, but oil changes were fairly on time.
thank you very much

howdy

How long do gm timing chains last on 2007 gmc sierra 1500? it’s got a 120,000 and replaced all fluids, sterpentine belt, ac belt tensoiners, alternator, water pump and oil pan gasket. any other maintenance items you recommend doing.
These chains are very short compared to dohc or sohc engines. For 99.9% of people they will never need replacing. It would likely be a waste of money unless you are taking the front of the engine a part for some other reason like pulling the cam or oil pump.

These chains are very short compared to dohc or sohc engines. For 99.9% of people they will never need replacing. It would likely be a waste of money unless you are taking the front of the engine a part for some other reason like pulling the cam or oil pump.
I fully agree. If you have kept up on oil changes, no need to do anything about the chain until it comes apart for lifter replacement.

Over 200,000 miles on the chain in my 2008 LS engine. I replaced my power steering pump when it leaked at the pulley seal in cold weather at 200,000 miles. The AC compressor might have a separate belt on this truck. It’s way down low and easy to miss.

My fathers 2002 Silverado 6.0 is on the original timing chain at 220K or so. I think he has the oil changed every 5K miles or so.

As others have said, it’s a very short cam in block design chain. I believe 2007 is the first year of displacement on demand, I’d be more worried about collapsing lifters and oil consumption.

I've seen the Timing Chain Tensioner fail which LSx engine didn't have before the Gen IV versions. The failure rate is so low that I wouldn't recommend replacing it or the chain pre-emptively though.

I've also tore down some extremely high mileage Gen III 6.0L's (400,000-500,000 miles) with spotty maintenance.....While the Chains were very loose, They were in no danger of jumping time.

Back