Timing Belt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1st owner of my 2006 MDX had the timing belt changed previous to the sale.

Timing belt and drive belt changed at:
mileage: 105,779
date: 5/25/2012

Current mileage: 134,xxx

I got the maintenance schedule from the Acura dealership and it shows the timing belt and drive belt changed but they only inspected the water pump, tensioners, idlers, bearings, pulleys.

Everything that I've read and every mechanic I've spoken to says all these others things should be changed at the same time. I spoke to the mechanic who did the timing belt and he said all the other parts were inspected and looked good, no leaking etc, thus there was no reason to replace them.

I understand that but I think the school of thought on this is that the amount of damage that would be caused by the pulleys/tensioners etc failing would be catastrophic. As well, the amount of labor required to replace these other parts is so high that it makes economic sense to replace all these parts while you have access.

1. should they have replaced the idler pulley/tensioner pulley/tensioner as they were replacing the timing belt?
2. I'm told by a mechanic that there will be indications if these other parts start to fail such as noise, etc.
3. My concern is I'm told that even if the timing belt is fine if these other parts fail they will cause the timing belt to fail anyway and boom half your engine is gone.
4. next weekend I'm having the breaks looked at due to squealing, can the mechanic visually inspect these tensioners/bearings and pulleys to confirm all is well or or that not enough access for visual inspection.

Please speak to each of my 4 points.

It comes down to glass half full, or empty deal. I'm with you though. Dealers will make more money later when the water pump poops out etc.

Kind of a judgement call. I'm proactive like you. Many others want to spend as little as possible to get the belts changed.

1. Depends who you ask and more importantly who is paying. There is no reason any of the pulleys or water pump will fail due to time/mileage. Strictly speaking to the Honda maintenance schedule only the belt is replaced and the rest are inspected. The reason people recommend replacing them is to save labor in case the pump would begin weeping or a pulley would fail. I'm not sure I'd spend 300 on new pulleys and a pump just in case if I planned to sell the car.

2. Possibly. When the belt was being replaced someone had a chance to look everything over and check for abnormal wear.

3. Yes, but is replacing these parts making that scenario less likely? Not really if it's unlikely to begin with.

4. No, there isn't a good way to see any of it, and to be honest the belts and pulleys look pretty good even at the rated mileage so a visual inspection with the belt on isn't really beneficial.

1. Yes, They should be replaced when the Timing Belt is changed.
2. Usually, But not always.
3. Yes, If any of the Timing component fail, Engine damage will occur.
4. No, The mechanic will not be able to "test" any component without disassembly. A leaking water pump would be the only visual inspection that can be done.

cjcride, Not really the point of my post...I don't really care about the politically correct reason as to why the mechanic didn't do it - my question is should it have been done...from a technical/mechanical POV, should it have been done. The answer to that will then lead to the next question, should I do it now? (but thx for the try cjc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
It comes down to glass half full, or empty deal. I'm with you though. Dealers will make more money later when the water pump poops out etc.

Kind of a judgement call. I'm proactive like you. Many others want to spend as little as possible to get the belts changed.

New parts fail too, ask Trav. I once went through three new water pumps in two years with average driving. The third one lasted over 9 years and 100K miles and was still going strong when I sold the car. I am of the opinion that most parts are not routine replacement just because you are in there.

Originally Posted By: another Todd

New parts fail too, ask Trav. I once went through three new water pumps in two years with average driving. The third one lasted over 9 years and 100K miles and was still going strong when I sold the car. I am of the opinion that most parts are not routine replacement just because you are in there.

I hear you. I don't know much about mechanics - my main concern is the particular part we are talking about. If the water pump fails I'll see it leaking, the temp gauge indicator light might get triggered, low coolant indicator might get triggered, etc. There is no catastrophic engine failure with a bad water pump.

Take that same school of thought to a tensioner in the timing belt - heck, you loose that then your timing belt tension is lost, then you loose your timing belt, then you loose your engine, pistons start ramming into things...and there could be no indication before it gives.

How many things in a car can go with zero indication and when they go take the engine with it? I dk, but I assume not many.

Last edited:
You're massively overthinking this. It's pretty common for the pump and pulleys to not be replaced after visual inspection. Many feel it's a good idea to replace them because it's cheap insurance. It wasn't a mistake to leave them and I'd worry about other things. Has the transmission fluid ever been changed? Original battery? Sounds like brakes are on the schedule, so a lot will get a once over while they do that.

Last edited:
I guess there is nothing I can do about it now - personally, I think it was a bad idea not to change out the entire timing belt system and water pump. Now the water pump, tensioners and pulleys are all expected to last another 100k miles...

Originally Posted By: tufa4311
There is no catastrophic engine failure with a bad water pump.

Well, if the pump bearing fails and seizes or throws the timing belt alignment off it certainly could cause the belt to fail very quickly. An Aisin pump is $70. I won't do the job without replacing everything. I have never had one come back with a problem. I have fixed a few that did fail after others did a belt only replacement. The last one was a Montero that lost the "inspected" pump 1100 miles after the belt was replaced.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
The last one was a Montero that lost the "inspected" pump 1100 miles after the belt was replaced.

What damage, if any, was caused due to the water pump failure? Was there warning or did it just fail?

I still dk what to do. Half are telling me to do it, the other half not to. I am confident that the pulleys, tensioners, and pump looked fine during the last timing belt replacement - but were they good enough to last another 100K when the next timing belt replacement would be scheduled for...

Originally Posted By: tufa4311

1. should they have replaced the idler pulley/tensioner pulley/tensioner as they were replacing the timing belt?
2. I'm told by a mechanic that there will be indications if these other parts start to fail such as noise, etc.
3. My concern is I'm told that even if the timing belt is fine if these other parts fail they will cause the timing belt to fail anyway and boom half your engine is gone.
4. next weekend I'm having the breaks looked at due to squealing, can the mechanic visually inspect these tensioners/bearings and pulleys to confirm all is well or or that not enough access for visual inspection.

1) Yes, they should have. If not, they are hacks, despite what the Honda/Acura FSM says they should do. There have been many years of experience showing the original FSM instructions on this were inadequate, and it is NOT what other manufacturers using the same sub-contractor components recommend. Very lazy.
2) Sometimes. Tensioner you will usually have some audible warning, though it may be brief, and hard to recognize if you aren't experienced (indistinct hard knocking sound around fan belt/fan clutch). Pulleys, not always. Can go bad and spin off in no time.
3) Yep.
4) Nope.

Anyone who tells you that you are over-thinking this, or should ignore it, is ignorant and does not understand the issues here. clinebarger is the only poster so far who has given you useful information.

I have a prior model of yours, an Acura SLX (not really the same platform, but same Acura model/product line). The Acura dealer in Portland did the service on mine and did just what happened to you. At 150k miles, the tensioner failed and I lost the belt/timing. Fortunately, mine is a non-interference 3.5l V6 Isuzu engine, so some major hassle and a few hundred dollars later, I was running like a top. I don't think your engine can survive that as I think it's a pure Honda engine and interference valve design unlike mine. Your engine, I think, would be a $3k repair and/or total loss.

The Aisin tensioners on most all Japanese cars - and it is the same basic unit from mid 90s until recently despite some outer casting differences - is not good for two belth change intervals. Nor are the pulleys.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oro_O

1) Yes, they should have. If not, they are hacks, despite what the Honda/Acura FSM says they should do. There have been many years of experience showing the original FSM instructions on this were inadequate, and it is NOT what other manufacturers using the same sub-contractor components recommend. Very lazy.
2) Sometimes. Tensioner you will usually have some audible warning, though it may be brief, and hard to recognize if you aren't experienced (indistinct hard knocking sound around fan belt/fan clutch). Pulleys, not always. Can go bad and spin off in no time.
3) Yep.
4) Nope.

Anyone who tells you that you are over-thinking this, or should ignore it, is ignorant and does not understand the issues here. clinebarger is the only poster so far who has given you useful information.

I have a prior model of yours, an Acura SLX (not really the same platform, but same Acura model/product line). The Acura dealer in Portland did the service on mine and did just what happened to you. At 150k miles, the tensioner failed and I lost the belt/timing. Fortunately, mine is a non-interference so some major hassle and a few hundred dollars later, I was running like a top. I don't think your engine can survive that as I think it's interference.

The Aisin tensioners on most all Japanese cars - and it is the same basic unit from mid 90s until recently despite some outer casting differences - is not good for two belth change intervals. Nor are the pulleys.
Oro_O said:
Ugh, I knew that they should have replaced the entire TB system - the previous owner should have done his homework - I am not a mechanic nor close to it but an hour of research online gave me enough info to at least know I needed to know more...I actually spoke to the mechanic that did the TB service when the previous owner still had the MDX, he sounded confident that the inspection of the other parts showed they were fine. Sure, maybe they were fine, but will they be fine for another 90K??? Did he not take this into account?

There is no way I'll just ride out these tensioners and pulleys until the next TB service - that's like 50K miles from now...

Thx for confirming I'm not nuts Oro_O

and yes, the MDX has an interference engine..

Last edited:
Get the whole kit and change it out.

$177.79 for AISIN

TKH-002.jpg

$130.99 for Gates
TCKWP329-1_KIT_A.jpg

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Get the whole kit and change it out. $177.79

TKH-002.jpg

If it were only that easy...let's not forget the, I dk, $500 labor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back