Time Verses Mileage On Oil Filters........

I don't drive too much anymore. I recently put only 1,500 miles in the last 6 months on my 2005 Toyota Corolla. I just changed the oil and left the, new version, Super Tech filter on. I will change it 6 months from now. So will this filter be okay with 5,000 miles on it and 1 year of use? Does the media break down on oil filters even though it's not driven much?! FYI, I was having a hard time taking this filter off and was crunched for time. Thanks

Given that the supertech filters are not much different than AC Delco filters that are what GM uses on their cars that can go up to 1 year or 10k miles on the OLM, you'll be fine.

So will this filter be okay with 5,000 miles on it and 1 year of use? Does the media break down on oil filters even though it's not driven much?!
Nothing to worry about. I've seen filters left on vehicles for 3-4 years with low mileage and they look great, zero signs of anything breaking down.

Be sure proper tightness on that filter -just me.my honda every other oil change ,the oil filter rated 10k miles

Thanks everyone. One year is my maximum I would go on any oil filter. I will def change it in 6 months.

I am not convinced that an oil filter goes bad from time alone, including ST.. Many believe the filter will fall apart but that is pure nonsense. If you are not confident, use a better filter.

Yes you are fine. I use my MityVac on the Civic and have no problem skipping a filter change. It's so easy with the MityVac and I don't believe I hurt anything by going 9 months or more without changing the filter. I change the oil with full synthetic at about three to five thousand miles depending on conditions.

Nothing to worry about. I've seen filters left on vehicles for 3-4 years with low mileage and they look great, zero signs of anything breaking down.
I, too, have left filters on engines for up to 3-4 years on low-use equipment (Kubota tractors; 1966 4.7L Mustang; Dmax equipped truck). Never an issue whatsoever. To be specific, when I say "no problem whatsoever", that means I not only pulled UOAs and PCs on the lubes, but also cut open the filter upon the change. Never saw any indication that the filter had any ill effects; it did it's job and it didn't degrade.

Many years ago, one of our members (Jim Allen) went on a tour of a Fram facility and asked the question; how long is "too long" ... They didn't flinch at 3 years. He said they indicated it got a bit "iffy" at 5 years; not that it was an assured failure, but that they didn't have enough data to make an assurance of it being OK.

This has come up before. Oil filters don't appear to dissolve internally, thank goodness.
Just think how many are overdue for a change out there!

I bought an '05 Ranger 4.0SOHC. It had been and will continue to be a low mileage vehicle.
It'll see 1 year oil and 2 year filter cycles.

TRUE CONFESSIONS: I use my drained oil to top off my buddy's truck.
He has problems with either pulling a dipstick or reading one; he's always low on oil.
However you cut it, my year old synthetic oil with 4,000 miles is better than the roofing tar in his crankcase.
He does NOTHIN but short trips with a '97 F-150 4.6.

I, too, have left filters on engines for up to 3-4 years on low-use equipment (Kubota tractors; 1966 4.7L Mustang; Dmax equipped truck). Never an issue whatsoever. To be specific, when I say "no problem whatsoever", that means I not only pulled UOAs and PCs on the lubes, but also cut open the filter upon the change. Never saw any indication that the filter had any ill effects; it did it's job and it didn't degrade.

Many years ago, one of our members (Jim Allen) went on a tour of a Fram facility and asked the question; how long is "too long" ... They didn't flinch at 3 years. He said they indicated it got a bit "iffy" at 5 years; not that it was an assured failure, but that they didn't have enough data to make an assurance of it being OK.
Are you referring to synthetic OF or regular^^? Ty

Hmmm I have used my Fram Ultras to 40k, cans and cartridge, the cartridge filters have been removed and inspected and reinstalled, haven’t hit 2 years on the filters yet as miles are accumulated way too fast.

I have 19 months/3600 miles on my F150 on a Mobil 1 filter and some Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 (with 3 qts of top off oil).

I will probably change it at the 2 year mark (using a Fram Ultra and some Magnatec 5w-20)
I will probably go 4-5 years on that setup (will probably have 6 qts topoff in that time, so basically a full oil change).

I think filter medias do harden up on some of them, but that extra time is nothing. I had some Toyota filters from 2007 I just used on my T100. The filter was on the engine for 3 1/2 years, prefilled with oil but the engine didn’t run during that time. When I started the engine with no extra fussing, it took just a second or so longer for the oil light to go off. Like a normal oil change start. After that it performed like a filter should. It depends on the resins they use to bond the media. You are not even close to leaving it on too long at one year.

Back