Time To Replace Rocker Panel

It's time to replace the rocker panel on the driver side of my 98 Expedition. It is too far gone now and it is turning into an ankle scraper when stepping on the running board. What you might not see in the picture is how the entire rocker is soft under the paint.
I want to do it right, so I won't be using foam or bondo and it is too far damaged to use a slip on.
Looking at a replacement rocker and I have little experience with welding, but figure I could use my harbor freight mig to do tack welds and the small amount of jointery that will need to be done.
I see Sherman brand replacements at a reasonable price on Car ID. Anyone ever use these with success?
Sherman Rocker Car ID
Hoping they come with the top and bottom flanges for spot welding.

Attachments

• Driver Side Rusty Rocker Panel.jpg
    Driver Side Rusty Rocker Panel.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
I'm doing similar work on a 2006 Escalade. I'm not cutting up that high though. The rust is only on the lower like yours. And it's it's a lot more work trying to line up the door. I would probably cut that piece and weld lower along the seam. Also check out raybuck they have good options over there as well

That's a lot of work to do "right". Cutting, grinding, fitting, welding.

One suggestion, don't weld it all at once, in other words, don't weld one long bead. Use small welds and let them cool a bit before placing another weld alongside. Otherwise the panel will shrink markedly.

I found this expedition/F150 video. No idea if the video is any good.

I was thinking that it would probably be easiest to drill out spot welds and weld a new full rocker using mig to spot weld back in place. That would leave small linear welds on pillars and the rest of the welds would be hidden by weatherstrip and running board.

I’ve been wanting to do this on my truck whenever I get the chance. My uncle used a 3m seam sealer on his 1986 ranger. No welding. He’s the original owner.

I thought I had a better pic of the rockers, but I guess not. He did paint the thing himself too.
F07D0590-C6FF-48DC-983E-A202D1F9429F.jpeg

Back