Time to Flush Tundra Transmission?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This truck as 260k mi on it. Transmission was serviced by previous owner at a dealership at 199k mi. Paperwork says "Flushed; added 14 qts" so I assume they used a machine since only a couple of quarts come out with drain/fill.

Question: With 60k miles miles on it since previous trans service, what should I do? Drain and fill at the next several oil changes? Flush and fill (assuming I can find a good deal on ATF)? Leave it alone?

Hope to keep this truck for a long time as it runs well. No transmission failure symptoms apparent at this time.

Thanks!

I am willing to do the flush. It would probably take me all day and amount to about 80 percent removal of the old fluid based on the proven technique I would use...

But I also wouldn't mind just doing it the next several OCIs...

I'd get it done by the dealer. The sixty bucks I save aren't worth the possibility of screwing up (an auto transmission is NOT as forgiving as an engine).

But that's just me.
cheers3.gif

You can do a cooler line flush in 30 minutes or so. Maybe 45 if you have a lot of ATF. Drain and fill the pan immediately before the flush to get the least mixing of old and new ATF.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You can do a cooler line flush in 30 minutes or so. Maybe 45 if you have a lot of ATF. Drain and fill the pan immediately before the flush to get the least mixing of old and new ATF.

Yes, that is what I was planning on doing. It will just take me longer for various check re-check reasons.

I did a 20qt flush on my Tundra, along with screen mesh filter change, and added a magnefine to the cooler return line.

I used a gallon jug to meter how much fluid has come out (so to add the same amount of fresh ATF back in), 3/8" tubing to connect to the cooler return outlet, 2 boxes of 12 bottles of ATF (24qts), and a friend to start/stop the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Take the time to perform a cooler line flush. There are many examples out there of vehicles with 300,000 miles or more, that have had regular flushing performed. There is one good example of this, the million mile ford van. At 60K you might think you are way overdue, but compared to the majority, you are doing pretty good. You aren't going to harm anything taking it to 60K. And if you choose a synthetic ATF with filtration of some sort, you can extend that interval or stick with it. Your choice, but I am confident you will be glad you flushed it now while it's still ok.

I would also recommend going with a synthetic ATF. Either Redline or Amsoil. A bit expensive, but they can remain in service much longer than other ATF's. I believe they also provide added protection from my experience using them in demanding applications.

Last edited:
Excellent; thanks.

I think I am going to do a full flush using standard-quality dino and not synthetic for this particular change. If the truck makes it another 30k, I will change it to synthetic at that time. Money's kind of tight now....

Spend $22.50 on a lab analysis of the ATF, and don't mess with it if the lab says the fluid is OK.

Did you know that Tundras & Sequoias used one of three different ATFs depending on their year? Either Dexron-III, or Toyota T-IV (3309 ATF), or Toyota WS. Be sure to get the correct fluid for your year truck.

It always takes me two hours to do a transmission fluid exchange from start to finish. It's mostly prep and cleanup. Add more time if you drop the pan.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
It always takes me two hours to do a transmission fluid exchange from start to finish. It's mostly prep and cleanup. Add more time if you drop the pan.

How many QTs total are you doing, and how many per cycle. I drained the pan of Camry (10 min) then did 6 QTs through cooler line @ 2 QTs per cycle for a total of around 10 or just under. All that took under 1 hour. I then waited 1 hour to get a good dipstick reading and added a little to get to proper level.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Spend $22.50 on a lab analysis of the ATF, and don't mess with it if the lab says the fluid is OK.

Did you know that Tundras & Sequoias used one of three different ATFs depending on their year? Either Dexron-III, or Toyota T-IV (3309 ATF), or Toyota WS. Be sure to get the correct fluid for your year truck.

Yep - a lot of people miss this.

Originally Posted By: PT1
I would do 3 drain fills with 10 miles of driving in between and call it good. Do check the fluid type and use the same.

10 miles seems too short to me.. way too short

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back