Time to ditch the Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ford46guy

Thanks for this info. I know the V6 and the trans behind them will never be perfect though. Got better in 06, but still the same 5RXX design with the bands. The timing system on the v6 is a wear item and requires the engine to be pulled to repair. The 02-05 V8s had the crown vic engine, but a pathetic transmission.

I heard about the exhaust manifold issue, didn't think it was so expensive to repair though. I did test drive a v8 and I hate to say it didn't feel THAT much powerful from a takeoff as the 96 I have. High speed passing may be another story.

I'm actually a fan of 4R/5R transmissions...if they have a dipstick. In my experience a little maintenance goes a long way. Not as much of a fan of the Explorer versions you have to fill from below.

05/06+ or so SOHC 4.0s are supposed to have updated timing components, and do seem to have fewer issues than the earlier engines. I still don't trust them like an OHV 4.0, but I have seen multiple SOHC 4.0s with over 300K miles on them...not sure if they had the original chains or not.

I have actually been looking at '06-'10 Explorers because I thought it might be good to have something that isn't ancient with a bunch of miles, but I can't find any I like. All the ones with cloth seats have a bunch of miles and look beat. '02-'05s have too many problems and are still old, and '11+ is just too car-like for me. I'll probably just get another '91-'01. Real Explorers have leaf springs anyway.
grin.gif

Thanks all for the input. Got a good deal on a well kept 2015 Pilot EX AWD (51,000 miles) today. Got lowballed on the trade in for the Traverse (thankfully the CEL decided not to make an appearance today), but the odometer display that can't be read during the day without covering the daylight sensor got two thumbs down. At least they noted I took good care of it and were pleased to get my maintenance log. Anyway, it's out of my hair. Guess I'll be learning more about the Honda VCM, but the Carfax shows only oil changes and alignments. Dealer put on new tires, brakes, and rotors, gave it an oil change, and it's spotless inside, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
Thanks all for the input. Got a good deal on a well kept 2015 Pilot EX AWD (51,000 miles) today. Got lowballed on the trade in for the Traverse (thankfully the CEL decided not to make an appearance today), but the odometer display that can't be read during the day without covering the daylight sensor got two thumbs down. At least they noted I took good care of it and were pleased to get my maintenance log. Anyway, it's out of my hair. Guess I'll be learning more about the Honda VCM, but the Carfax shows only oil changes and alignments. Dealer put on new tires, brakes, and rotors, gave it an oil change, and it's spotless inside, so I'm pretty happy with it.

But it the end it sounds like your maintenance log had very little effect on the trade in value, other than a personal compliment. AS others on here have stated-they usually do have very little effect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back