Time to clean up the boonies in my reverse lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's it. I've had it. I'm tired of having to drain and clean my reverse lights of water and algae. They still work but when they get the algae in them they start to look like the set of Green acres.

So I bought some Chinese Replacements because that was the only pair that I could find for a reasonable price. BUT I didn't use the lenses that came from the kit because I knew that they would Yellow in no time. So I reused my Original Japanese Daihatsu Lenses and rubber seals for the bulb socket. I tried to make these lights as water tight as possible.

Here is the drivers side. The worst side. And that is only after one night of rain.

27yps02.jpg

The passenger's side wasn't as bad but I still changed it and sealed it.

2nk573l.jpg

The top lens it the Chinese one.
Bottom is the original Japanese lens after cleaning it up.

5bpoo1.jpg

Left is the original socket with the original seal right is Chinese. The bulb was rusted solid to the socket, so I used the Chinese socket and reused the ticker and much better Japanese seal.

11uui2q.jpg

The Chinese base.

2m28gli.jpg

Of course the lenses didn't fit over the bases very well so I had to let them soak in hot water and bent them so they could fit properly.

2rzvsx2.jpg

And you can see how the old base has cracked and cooked itself letting the water in. It was a bad design to start with.

34e6p9k.jpg

Finished product. Plus I put an o ring on the screws that holds them in place.

11rb4b5.jpg

Driver's side.

117zoz6.jpg

Passenger's side.

21erhip.jpg

Lets see if these are gong to be water tight.

Water tight, probably, but don't they need to breathe a little to get condensation out?

I'm more concerned with water tightness than a little condensation. Which I have yet to see BTW even after a night of hard rain.

I cross rivers from time to time and the waterline sometimes gets to the top of the rear bumper. I need protection even though the old lights worked, they looked terrible filled with water, and even worse when something started to grow inside.

nice job. this can be frustrating to tackle. if it fails, they now make oval shaped LED backup lights for trucks/trailers, flush mount. That would be an interesting mod.

but it looks like you've got it working for now, so run it!

m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back