Warning: Sylvania H11 Bulbs Shorting Out at the Connector

This makes the 2nd set of Sylvania bulbs we've installed on the van. One issue we've noticed right from the beginning is the the three leads or pins on the bulb as not designed correctly and are hard to twist screw into the housing socket. Both sets of the H11 bulbs have sorted out at the socket/connecter with charred burn marks on the connector. We contacted Sylvania automotive to let them know they have a defective lot of H11 bulbs. They sent back a form for us to fill out to file a claim and get a refund. We've since switched to a set of the Hella H11 bulbs which do not seem as bright as the Sylvania version and we'll see how the Hella bulbs hold up. We purchased the Hella Bulbs form SummitRacing. So be warned if you take all the correct precautions to install the H11 bulbs in your car or truck and they burn out in less that 1 month, then something wrong with them and you need to file a claim with Sylvania like we did.

I DOUBT that your bulbs are "shorting out" the connector. Most likely the bulbs are either loose in the socket and that is causing the contacts in the socket to arc and causing burned spots in the contacts and the plastic sockets; OR the bulbs are pulling more current than the sockets were designed for and that is overheating and burning the sockets. Burning due to loose contacts or over current due to a larger bulbs than the socket was designed for are not the same as "shorting out".

What bulbs does the van manufacturer say in the Owner's Manual you're supposed to use?

Strange, I have not seen this defect and I sell these all day long and install a fair amount of them.

Reactions: hrv
Back