Time for ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started them last night with a dash of Templeton Rye Whiskey and my own rub. Then they were allowed to rest until 6:00 this morning.

Ribs1.jpg

At 6:00 AM they are ready to start smoking. The smoker was set for 200 degrees and I used hickory. Normally I like mesquite with ribs, but I'm out so hickory will have to do this time.

Ribs2.jpg

After 8 hours it's time to take them out of the smoker. Now they get to rest in foil, wrapped in a towel, and placed in a cooler. The "FTC" step allows the ribs to continue to slightly cook, and they steep in their own moisture and flavors. While in the cooler this way they'll stay at temperature for several hours.

Ribs3.jpg

After 3 hours in the cooler they go on the grill to finish them off with some barbecue sauce.

Ribs4.jpg

Add some garlic roasted potatoes and some steamed vegetables, and it makes for a great meal. The ribs have a rich whiskey flavor, along with the spices from the rub, all of which play off the smoke flavor.

Ribs5.jpg

And yes, they were as moist and good as they look.

We have a rack were going to make when it's not raining. Might try the whiskey, sounds good.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We have a rack were going to make when it's not raining. Might try the whiskey, sounds good.

The alcohol in the whiskey evaporates in the low temperatures of the smoker leaving behind the whiskey flavor. I don't recommend doing it on the grill-the alcohol in the whiskey will catch fire that close to the live flame.

Originally Posted By: Hallmark
But, are they fall-off-the-bone tender...if not, futher work on the recipe is required.

Not true a rib must bite of the bone not fall of the bone.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The alcohol in the whiskey evaporates in the low temperatures of the smoker leaving behind the whiskey flavor. I don't recommend doing it on the grill-the alcohol in the whiskey will catch fire that close to the live flame.

We don't have a smoker but we usually pre heat in the oven at 150-200. So it would flash off the same. Just without the smoke. I use a smoker box on the grill fwiw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back