Time for new tires

$1000 later

IMG_2734.jpeg

IMG_2733.jpeg

Yeah, if I lived in the mountains I would get a more snow focused tire.
Those wear indicators are nice, kinda like the Conti DWS.

I think I'll be exchanging the Defenders for CC2.
The deciding factor is that I've had some unexpected wheel spin on dry pavement, and I'm betting this translates to wet and snow.
The on-center feel is poor, which is weird, because the D2 on the CRV feel great.

The D2 is also a little too un-sporty for the Accord. It blunts the crisp handling too much.

Having to exchange the tires is kind of a bummer. The D2 is such a quiet, and fairly nice riding tire...and MPG increased from 35.5 to 37.1.
I bet it is a great for many, which is why DT recommended it.

Bob

The deciding factor is that I've had some unexpected wheel spin on dry pavement, and I'm betting this translates to wet and snow.
The on-center feel is poor, which is weird, because the D2 on the CRV feel great.

The D2 is also a little too un-sporty for the Accord. It blunts the crisp handling too much.

Having to exchange the tires is kind of a bummer. The D2 is such a quiet, and fairly nice riding tire...and MPG increased from 35.5 to 37.1.

Bob
I had Defenders on my old CR-V and disliked them. The grip simply isn’t there. They’re designed to optimize MPG and wear at the expense of traction. CC2s are much more confidence inspiring for any road condition in any season.

Yeah my wife doesn't drive her CRV too much in heavy snow.
But I was surprised that the car did quite well in snow, even on the horrible hockey pucks that came with it.

But I think a lot of it comes down to my comfort of driving in snow.
We grew up driving mostly rear wheel drive crappy cars with the worst garbage tires you can imagine. They were under inflated, over inflated, mismatched, bald. Alignment? What is that?
These modern cars with all-wheel drive or even front wheel drive, anti-lock brake systems, traction control, and much better tires are far more capable than that junk we were driving.

My wife made it clear that she wanted quiet and comfortable tires, and she got them!

And I'm having the CC2 put on in about an hour.

Bob

Bob
Nokian WR G4 is more snow focused than the Michelin CC2, as the Nokian WR G4 started life as a european dedicated winter tire, WR A4, then Nokian did whatever and called it all-weather tire for US/Canada.

If I lived in the mountains, instead of visiting them, I'd get actual winter tires.

In fact, I did buy a set earlier this year.
1695506235769.jpg

Heck, if I lived in the mountains and encountered serious snow, I would definitely get snows...and an all wheel drive to limit risk of getting stuck.
I'm in the flatlands of SE Michigan. Not very challenging.
Except...I think in 2013(?) we had 92" total snowfall (I think it varied between 92 and 96+in my area). I think we only average around 35-40.

This tires look aggressive.
Interestingly, Nokian also makes a studded mountain bike tire with the same name. Never tried it because I HATE riding in the cold.

Bob

And the Bridgestones were bad because.....?
1) The tirerack reviews say they don't last more than 15,000 miles
2) Wanted something for the occasional visits to the ski mountain. It was either the Michelin CrossClimate2, Nokian WR G4 or General Altimax AW365, but the shop had the CC2's in stock.

Thanks.

I'll let you know how the Alenza A/S work out after 15k miles.

Quiet and comfortable, thus far. Even better than the Michelin Latitude Tour I mounted on the 2015 Santa Fe to replace the OEM Kumho Krap Crugens.

No experience with consistent wet/light snow, though. Stay tuned.

Nokian WR G4 is more snow focused than the Michelin CC2, as the Nokian WR G4 started life as a european dedicated winter tire, WR A4, then Nokian did whatever and called it all-weather tire for US/Canada.

If I lived in the mountains, instead of visiting them, I'd get actual winter tires.

In fact, I did buy a set earlier this year.
View attachment 180140
Why not the R5’s for winter?

@UG_Passat - how’s the road noise with the Nokians? The tread looks great to the eye. I’d be interested to know long term how the noise is based on other reviews I’ve read.

I plugged the CC2s on my wife’s car in nearly the exactly same location. 4 weeks in and there have been no issues. I am encouraged by your pics that there was so much tread at 46k miles. Excellent wear. Let us know how the Nokians fare!

-m

not that it matters now, but I think that costcos Michelin sale continues to be the same for the next coupon cycle.

I’d plug it or look for a used one with similar age and tread depth. That worked well for me on my accord hybrid

I had the Entyre C/S on my old Tiguan before, ....

but... One's... compared to the CC2, even with more worn CC2's that should have lower rolling resistance.... gently staring from a stop, I can stay in EV mode longer and higher speeds before the gas motor kicks in.

Noise seems quieter, but I don't have any calibrated noise measuring equipment to get quantifiable data.

@UG_Passat - keep us updated on the Nokian One's please. My son's Forte needs new shoes in spring (even though his 4/32" Michelin Premier's don't seem to Hydroplane, and I'm trying to hit bigger water areas). The Nokian One and Conti TrueContact tour are on my short list. I don't need All Weather or snow as is VikingContact 7's take care of winter. I want good wet/dry/noise. I also prefer asymmetrical so I can cross rotate for wear.

The GY at Walmart are great prices but I've not had great experience with GY multiple models on different vehicles. If I was selling it, no issue, name brand, new tread but not for my use.

Beautiful new Nokians! The "Ones" are on my shortlist to replace the Entyres currently on the Jetta.

Would love an update on them as you break them in.

Back