Time for new shocks on the Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it took 11+ years and 213,000+ miles, but one of my shocks finally gave way. I noticed a spot under the truck yesterday afternoon, so I went underneath and sure enough my driver's side rear shock is leaking fluid. Might as well go ahead and replace all four shocks (at this age and mileage, I'm way past due anyway).

The OE shocks on this truck are the 2-stage manual electronic adjustable (soft/firm) versions... so I look them up, and replacement cost is ~$250/ea for Delco or ~$160/ea for aftermarket Monroe?!?! No thank you, I don't think I will be going that route - especially since I NEVER use the firm setting. (don't let the 'soft/firm' nomenclature fool you... it's really a selector between 'medium' and 'really f*ing hard').

The 2-stage system is a 'dummy' system (as opposed to the 'autoride' system, which this is not), so unplugging the wires on a shock does not lead to any check engine/malfunction indicator lights... it just disables the firm (hard) setting on that shock.

So I'm thinking of just eliminating the 2-stage system and going with good monotube shocks.
Here's my tentative plan (This is a 2wd truck):

Front: I've had 3" lift spindles on the truck for the past 8 or so years, but the suspension geometry is pretty much in the stock configuration, so no need for longer shocks. I'm thinking of using Bilstein 4600HDs (p/n 24-029025).

Rear: I've had 2" blocks in the rear for the same ~8 years, but have been running the stock height shocks. I could purchase the same length shocks and that would work OK, but I'm thinking of purchasing ~2" longer shocks since I'm technically at 4wd/Z71 ride height in the rear. According to all the specs I have seen, the 2wd and 4wd shocks are the same except for length, so I'd just purchase the rear shocks for 4wd. I'd use the Bilstein 4600HD shock here as well (p/n 24-029056).

What do you think? Good idea? Any flaws you can think of?

(thinking of purchasing from shockwarehouse dot com - does anyone have a current/valid discount code?)

If you are going to keep the vehicle for awhile, then you cannot go wrong with Bilstein. They are the best.

I got some (new) on EBAY and some from regular internet websites.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I vote bilsteins

+1. Good old yellow bilsteins were standard on my ZR2.

Another vote for Bilstein HD

Electronic shocks suck because eventually they are no longer available because they don't feel like making them anymore.

I read your sig and saw that your truck has Quadrasteer. That's awesome! Has the system been reliable?

Another good site is shox.com

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I vote bilsteins

+1. Good old yellow bilsteins were standard on my ZR2.

You can hardly beat these with a stick!

Worth every penny.

If you want an excellent shock at lower numbers get Gabriel Ultra, works GREAT on Silverados in our fleet...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I read your sig and saw that your truck has Quadrasteer. That's awesome! Has the system been reliable?

Yes, quite reliable. A bit quirky, but reliable. The only 'issues' worth mentioning:

- The system is designed to run a self diagnostic upon startup which includes an analysis of steering wheel position vs. rear wheel position. Not a problem unless you accidentally move the steering wheel while cranking the truck... that confuses the system and returns an error code and reverts to 2-wheel steer mode. To fix, you have to run the complicated procedure of A) turning the engine off, and B) starting it back up again, while this time keeping your d*mn hands off the steering wheel.

- When executing spirited driving maneuvers like doughnuts and tight figure 8's, especially in loose terrain like sand or gravel and especially while gassing it and throwing up lots of sand/gravel/dust, the system becomes confused and/or [censored] off. Perhaps in an effort to prevent you from killing yourself, the system returns an error code and reverts to 2-wheel steer mode. Which of course requires you to stop having fun. Again, requires initiation of the reset procedure as described above.

- Slightly sagging upper steering knuckle on the rear driver's side which gives me about one degree excessive negative camber. Hasn't adversely effected tire wear yet... but does positively impact my ability to make hard right turns ; )

- Very slight amount of play in one of the rear outer tie rod ends. Not enough to gripe about yet - I'll get around to replacing it one of these days.

I guess I've been lucky so far, because the dozen or two 'SERVICE 4-WHEEL STEER' error messages I've received so far have all meant either 'you touched the steering wheel again, you idiot', or 'stop doing doughnuts, you idiot'. I dread the day where it really means the steering motor went out.

Then again, when I bought it I never planned for the system to work past 200,000 miles, so I feel it owes me nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back