Time for another oil change, Id like a cleaner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't usually put more than 6000km on my family mobile (Toyota Rav4 1AZ-FE), but I've clocked up almost 9,000km under what would have to be severe service conditions in 8 months.

This car has had 8-10km OCI it's whole life on bulk 10w30 except for the last OCI and it has done a reasonable job. It looks a little varnished in there and I would like to see it clean up if possible. It uses very little oil, maybe 1/2 a litre per 10,000km. I don't bother to top it off.

IMG_20130917_141106.jpg

Repco has a sale so I want to pick something up, what would you choose?

Same again - Mobil Super 2000 5w30 (Syn blend) $30
Valvoline Durablend 5w30 DX1 $40
Penrite Enviro+ 5w30 GF-5 (full Syn Dexos 1) $40
Castrol Edge 5w30 SL/A3 $50
Gulf Western 10w30 $17 (maybe not)

Or use the jug of Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 I have and attempt an extended OCI

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Did you cut a chunk out of your baffle?

+1 it looks like it.
M1

Except for possibly pieces of that busted baffle, I don't see anything to worry about... That little bit of color is a total non issue...

We have Mobil 1, but it is supremely expensive. I don't think it is worth it. Even at a discounted price it going to be about $70.

The baffle was broken when I bought the car, I looked at many of these cars, I of course looked under the oil cap of all of them and all but 1 had broken baffles. The Toyota techs must be a little heavy handed. The broken piece is not in there.

Maxlife is only available in 20w50.

I know the colour isn't really a problem but if I could remove it by just using the right product why not. Unless anyone thinks Durablend or Penrite is worth the extra $10 I'll stick with Mobil Super.

Another option would be Kendall GT1 Syn blend 5w30 which would be about the same price as MS, but I'd need to purchased 4 jugs at a time from the distributer.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Pennzoil is pretty much a no show in Oz these days.

Huh? It's every where. Pennzoil is Shell in Australia. Repco has 20% off Shell oils (including ultra) at the moment.
BTW, OP, don't use Penrite Enviro unless your car is spec'd for it, it has low zinc (just over 800ppm).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
So the shells are all rebadged Pennzoil ? (or vice versa).

I missed something there.

Shell bought Pennzoil-Quaker State in 2002. The Shell Helix Ultra they sell in Australia is the same as the 5w-40 Pennzoil Ultra. I am not sure what Pennzoil platinum is, probably Shell Helix HX7, the next one down from Ultra. I have checked the specs on the HX7, but the Ultra seems like it's the same as the PU Euro 5w-40 a few here got their hands on. I use it on the GFs car, mine I went for Penrite 10w-40 Racing, as I have a turbo car and it's a nice sheer free (no VIIs) PAO and ester oil with a nice additive pack.

Last edited:
PU Euro 5w40 SN has changed from the Helix Ultra sold here

I decided to pay the extra $10 for a synthetic. I bought the Pentire Enviro GF-5. For $40 it's a bloody good deal. And this will be the first ever engine oil from Penrite I have purchased!

Engine looks fine to me, though the synthetic you bought should clean up what little is visible in one OCI. What's the total mileage on this Rav4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back