Thumbs Up emoji can cost you....

I concur with the judge on this. There was a clear acceptance of the terms and agreement by both parties and the farmer and this buyer had done similar deals in the past via cell phone chats. There is more to the story. What this abbreviated article didn't show was that the agreed price was $17 per bushel before the season started but the price skyrocketed at harvest time. So, it was in the farmer's best interest to not sell at the $17 price as agreed upon. The farmer was trying to weasel out.

This CNN article explains it. https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/business/farmer-contract-thumbs-up-emoji/index.html

I concur with the judge on this. There was a clear acceptance of the terms and agreement by both parties and the farmer and this buyer had done similar deals in the past via cell phone chats. There is more to the story. What this abbreviated article didn't show was that the agreed price was $17 per bushel before the season started but the price skyrocketed at harvest time. So, it was in the farmer's best interest to not sell at the $17 price as agreed upon. The farmer was trying to weasel out.

This CNN article explains it. https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/07/business/farmer-contract-thumbs-up-emoji/index.html
Good post, there is always more to the story but the "news" media only goal is entertainment. Sensationalism

I don't want to come across blithe but.....In my experience, being "too hep" is dangerous.
Achter (the farmer) was a little too hep and relaxed with his communications in the first place.

I'd like to know if indeed he "always include[ed] an Act of God clause" is every document for delivery he signed.
While he may be telling the truth, the increase in the crops selling price makes him appear to have lied.

I'm sure "ratings" is the #1 goal of all media but wpod's point is inarguable.

Also, to split hairs constructively, propaganda always includes omission, mollification (mind numbing) and frequently, distraction.

Well, that judgement is going to set a very far-reaching precedent for Canadian civil law ... Ouch!

BTW - I hereby release anyone who "likes" my post with a thumbs-up emoji from any contractual obligation to like any of my future posts.
;)

By using the above winking emoji, I hereby state that it is not meant to offend anyone as if I were hitting on them or otherwise initiating a sexual overtone. 🤣

By using the above LOL emoji, I hereby affirm that I'm not making fun of anyone's sensitivity to sexual discrimination or past experiences of sexual harassment; it would be bad form for me to make light of someone's traumatic life events and I do proffer an olive branch if I offended anyone. 🫒🌴

By using the above images for olives and trees, I declare that in no way am I deriding the farming and agricultural communities, nor am I making comments about any ethnic or religious sect of humanity. I have nothing but respect for people who use olives and branches to heal emotional wounds. (y)

Oh :poop: ... now I'm in a contract with myself ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
The farmer (respondent) should've argued that since there is no "thumbs down" emoji, there's no way a "thumbs up" emoji can mean acceptance.
The "thumbs up" emoji has no corresponding negative and therefore isn't complete enough to constitute binding communication language.
He had used "yup" , "OK" etc. in previous contracts with the same buyer. Thems be words.

May the flax be with you. (groan)

The farmer (respondent) should've argued that since there is no "thumbs down" emoji, there's no way a "thumbs up" emoji can mean acceptance.
The "thumbs up" emoji has no corresponding negative and therefore isn't complete enough to constitute binding communication language.
He had used "yup" , "OK" etc. in previous contracts with the same buyer. Thems be words.

May the flax be with you. (groan)
(n)

:sneaky:

Never understood how grown adults still use these childish cartoon characters for communication.
It's really not difficult at all. Usually there's a button/graphic you can click. Easy-peasy. Sometimes you have to click-hold in order to get add'l choices so that might be more computer/tech-savvy for some folks, I guess.

Back