throttle body cleaning?

Hi,

Should throttle body cleaning be a part of good routine maintenance at around 60K for most naturally aspirated, port injected cars? I own a mint condition 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition approaching 66K and was wondering if it is beneficial to have it done at my next oil change, or just a waste of money?

Thanks
Michael in NJ

I would say yes. SMA just posted a vid of a Jeep having issues from a dirty TB causing the throttle plate to hang. Maybe not take it out and scrub it on a regular schedule, but at least pay attention and clean it from time to time.

CTECH, you beat me to the punch.....I was going to post this same video.....hats of to SMA for creating it and to you for posting it.

wondering if it is beneficial to have it done at my next oil change, or just a waste of money?
So you're not diy'ing it? How much does a shop charge? Some are buried pretty deep and are a pain to get to, let alone clean. Some are right up top and easy to access. This older Buick took less than 15 minutes,

125Throttle body cleaning.jpg

While some may take nearly an hour if you have to take part of the intake off.

Took 20 minutes to get a 10mm socket as the air intake AEM connects to frame. Cleaning took forever because my window scraper was on the throttle and I was to worried about it crossing the 1500-2000 rpm. Thought about adding the AFE/Takeda TB spacer but without a tune update it probably won't do much. When I don't do this, I pull off a hose that's close to TB on intake and use those metal stainless steel straws and put it down there and spray in that way a few squirts every oci. Can lasts 3x as long then when I do it the proper way of complete removal. I'm on the steady opinion that no matter how much you do clean it, constantly doing a bit each time easier than waiting too long and having too much buildup. Check those pcv and egr valves too.

Attachments

• 20220912_164653_HDR.jpg
    20220912_164653_HDR.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 22
I have done throttle body cleanings on several vehicles and I've found that some vehicles benefit a lot from it and some not at all. When I did it on my Buick Century with the 3.1 the results were very noticeable...a lot of black gook came out and the car ran smoother afterwards. On my Toyota and Ford's there was little to no black gook and no noticeable difference in performance.
When I ran the STP Intake Valve cleaner on my GDI Focus at 50K+ miles it did run smoother afterwards...I'll do it again at 100K.

Dude, throttle body is cleaned with the engine OFF.
Negative, mine is GDI and this is the process to clean the valves/throttle body. Why go to all the trouble just to clean the front. I understand your point, but if you've gone this far might as well finish it out and do the whole enchilada.

Negative, mine is GDI and this is the process to clean the valves/throttle body. Why go to all the trouble just to clean the front. I understand your point, but if you've gone this far might as well finish it out and do the whole enchilada.
Doesn't matter that its GDI, throttle bodies are still the same. You clean the back as well by opening the throttle plate all the way and use a spray cleaner and brush. No way you can do that with the engine running.

1663429686929.jpg

A picture like this proves nothing, since all the dirt lives on the back side. If you're actually having problems it is best to pull the throttle body and clean it from the back. If you're not having problems sure just spray whatever brew you want on the front.

Hi,

Should throttle body cleaning be a part of good routine maintenance at around 60K for most naturally aspirated, port injected cars? I own a mint condition 2017 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition approaching 66K and was wondering if it is beneficial to have it done at my next oil change, or just a waste of money?

Thanks
Michael in NJ
Similar here.
I could feel difference on 4yo car. Mainly the idle.

Since my plugs get changed every 30K on my Tacoma. I clean the throttle body as well. I don’t remove it. With the truck on I wedge a pole between the gas pedal and seat to open the throttle body. I use Amsoil power foam and wipe away.

I would say yes. SMA just posted a vid of a Jeep having issues from a dirty TB causing the throttle plate to hang. Maybe not take it out and scrub it on a regular schedule, but at least pay attention and clean it from time to time.

I was thinking of this same video when the OP asked his question. I do it periodically on my vehicles.

Back