Thread for photos that 100% do not violate any Terms Of Service, not political, not too lewd, no gas price pics etc.

Poor maintenance of vehicles should be outlawed.
Only way to prevent that is coat the underside with appropriate product and power wash it every time it's driven in salted roads. Not many people are into that. Better to just buy a super beater car for winter use if someone has a car they don't want rusted out in 5 years.

Sonoma County has an interesting history, part of which Jack London is. Come with me and visit the Jack London State Historic Park, where Jack London bought the Beauty Ranch. He built many additions and he made a hilariously bad decision about planting trees. Jack London also built a stone house there that he called his Wolf Castle. Sadly, it burned down as most everything does in California sooner rather than later, and we will skip the castle this time around. Jack lived on his ranch from 1905 until his death in 1916 at the age of 40. He was suffering from many illnesses, many of which he had picked up during his travels. He was also suffering from renal failure, alcoholism, and opium and morphine addiction, Whether or not he overdosed on morphine we don't know. He was only 40 years old at the time of his death.

I apologize for the lack of color grading. I just can't get motivated. 😆 You'll have to put up with non-matching colors between images.

I live most of the time in Marin and Sonoma County is not far. Let's go for a ride.

We reach the Jack London State Historic Park. The entrance fee is $10. If you can't afford that you can get a free pass from a local library that's good for a couple of weeks and allows free access to at least some or maybe all state parks in CA. Jack London lived here in a cottage on a former ranch. There are thousands of Eucalyptus trees growing here, skinny and tall, he imported tens of thousands of them believing they'd make such good wood. That of all people Jack fell for this is kind of hilarious. Eucalyptus wood is generally good only for firewood. While it is a hardwood, it dries all twisted and has other limitations, mostly to do with poor cold weather resistance. It does however grow like a weed, which it practically is. It does however have a lovely smell.

This is the first building I saw on my way to the cottage. It's an old barn built by Chinese laborers. Behind it is another barn built by Italian laborers. In between is a manure pit. We will skip that manure hole.

Inside the barn

The cottage

A writer's paradise. Every room is set up for reading and writing with nice views of the surrounding landscape.

Behind the cottage is an addition with a laundry room, a kitchen, and a dining room/common room mostly used by guests.

The laundry room

The kitchen

The chicken isn't ready yet

The dining room/common room

Nearby but outside the park and in the town of Glenn Ellen is a grist mill. This is where we must end out trip because next is food.

The Yeti Restaurant is right behind the mill and overlooking the crick. Go away now!

BJ's selling Interstate now. AutoMechanic will be happy.

IMG-0193.jpg

Only way to prevent that is coat the underside with appropriate product and power wash it every time it's driven in salted roads. Not many people are into that. Better to just buy a super beater car for winter use if someone has a car they don't want rusted out in 5 years.
Hogwash. That is extreme to the extreme. That is a fringe case, not the norm in any environment.

While I’ll readily admit I don’t live in the worst areas when it comes to winter weather, we do get our share of cold and ice, and coatings of road salt all winter long. But even in worse places what is shown there is a fringe case.

Hogwash. That is extreme to the extreme. That is a fringe case, not the norm in any environment.

While I’ll readily admit I don’t live in the worst areas when it comes to winter weather, we do get our share of cold and ice, and coatings of road salt all winter long. But even in worse places what is shown there is a fringe case.
Regardless, it shows what salted roads can do. Maybe it was driven daily on winter salted roads for years. Lots of people do that, and lots of cars get eaten up pretty badly in heavy salted road use areas.

Back