Thoughts on WIX filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a Wix filter for my 02 Explorer. Initial thoughts are that the can is solid, appear to be a lot of holes well spaced out in the tube. Also noticed that the Wix is taller (about 1 inch or so) than the Supertech that it will be replacing.

Any thoughts on the filtering ability of the Wix filters?

All-round great filter...price,operation and getting it locally make it great IMO
grin.gif

I use Wix because they are easy to get locally and they are a quality filter. However, at almost 8 bucks each with the tax, they are expensive.

quote:

Originally posted by SpitIX:
I use Wix because they are easy to get locally and they are a quality filter. However, at almost 8 bucks each with the tax, they are expensive.

Shop around. I get them in the $5 range.

Ken

I pay about $5.50 for a Napa Gold 1515 (Wix 51515).

Was told by a rep that they filtered to 19 micron absolute and flow 7-9 gpm with "acceptable initial restriction".

I just bought my next case of Wix 51040s from www.rockauto.com for under $3.80 each. If you can have them ship to a business adress the shipping costs for a case of 12 is about $7.50. Total cost delivered is under $4.50 each.

I don't give any money to the folks at Wal-Mart who based on news reports seem to be busy hiring illegals, working people off-the-clock and locking in overnight workers. Personally I'm avoiding Wal Mart.

I work for Wal-Mart and I have never seen any of this go on. They are EXTREEMLY stricked about working off the clock and you get in big trouble if you do! Also I have worked many nights and have never been locked in.
rolleyes.gif
It has always been like this for the 5 years I have been there. It is just easy to pick on Wal Mart because they are the biggest and the biggest always get's in the news for 1 thing or another. I can say I have been treated very well working for them and I'm a regular hourly worker.

Not all that impressed with the Rockauto place linked above. They only had Fram, motorcraft fl820s, puralator and AC delco for my application, all of which were wayyyy overpriced...
rolleyes.gif

I am happy to give the $5.99 for the WIX to the local guy.

The Wal-mart stuff is a little extreme. It is like everything else, some managers of stores take it upon themselves to "cook the books", whether that means squeezing extra work out of employees or whatever... It is wrong, but not always the corporations fault...

Regardless, I will try to support the local where I can...

I too try to by local when I can. Yes, it is more the manager or person you deal with. If they are moral and honest you will have a good working enviornment but some are the other way around.

I like the wix and it seems to flow better than the Pure Ones that I used before I found this place. I have a 97 Monte with a 3100, which are known for noisy cold starts. Wix reduced the noise, which never was a bad problem with mine. It just sounds a little louder than normal.
BTW, This ex Wal-Mart employee got locked in one night after my shift. I was staying a little later helping to straighten. The night crew made me wait until morning to let me out. The phones were turned off.

Even though I have not seen this happen if they locked me in with out pay I would find a way out even if it ment breaking a window and being fired. That is not exceptable and is probibly against the law.

My Wal Mart is nothing like that and is very good to us for the most part, some things suck but most things are ok.

Sorry to stray from the oil topic, but this was 1980s in a small Missouri town. I needed a job and I thought the emergency exits were locked at nights. Supposedly if the alarms went off and the cops came, you had to hold your arms up and remain still so they would not think you were ripping the place off. It broke me of working retail. I felt I was treated badly.

the only wix i cut open had the big can with a teeny filter element inside it.
It had less filter area than Super techor purolator.
i thought Wix was skimping on the internal size
purolator 94 square inches
super tech 70
wix 64
these for a camry 4 cyl

[ January 29, 2004, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

I've used wix on my fords and honda and I must say the construction and design is outstanding, however, the bosch and m1 filters keep the oil cleaner longer. I'm sure its acceptable though. At least I've had no problems.

I don't undestand how the Bosch's anti drain back works, since it is just a flat metal disc. This the one for a 302 V8 and/or 2.3 4cyl. Ford.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back