Thoughts on which oil to use? Turbo Inline5 Gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobile1 High Mileage 5w30 is going on sale tomorrow at my local [censored] Tire,
I figure I would pick up maybe enough jugs for 3 oil changes and see how that works out.

Current oil: last batch of Castrol GTX High Mileage 10w-30 (will change at 3000km, currently 500km on it)
On deck: 6 litres of Castrol Syntec Fluid Titanium 10w30 (will change at 5000km)

Future: Mobile1 High Mileage 5w30 for fall/winter ? would run 5000km intervals on this too.

I've had the car since late December, I've put on 17,000km and changed the oil 6 times so far LOL.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking setup. How much additional boost are you running? As you might have guessed, I absolutely love properly turbocharged vehicles.

thanks!
honestly the new "airbox" doesn't do much aside from making more whooshy turbo noises, but the biggest performance benefit would be the turbo inlet to mass air flow sensor... much wider diameter aluminum pipe. Sounds cool now, and you really hear the stock bypass valve when I close the throttle in boost. According to the manufacturer it flows 21% better than stock and might offer another 10whp or so.

runs stock boost from the mitsu td04-16t, which is 11-12 psi, spikes in between shifts to 15psi for a brief second. Plans are for a full turbo back exhaust, probably 3" downpipe, no cat, and 2.5" the rest of the way. After that I might decide on a tune that would probably go upwards of 15psi, I wouldn't want to run any more boost than that with all else being stock. Engine management is stock motronic 4.4 and uses a pierburg boost control solenoid.

And yeah, yesterday I grabbed 4, 4.4litre jugs of 5w30 Mobile1 High Mileage that was on sale, enough for 3 oil changes, hopefully the car likes it.

I've just done the 7th oil change since I've owned the car (bought Jan 2017, just over 20,000km driven on it).

3 changes with Castrol GTX (3000km intervals), then 3 changes with Castrol GTX High Mileage (3000km intervals), now it just got it's first synthetic change with Castrol Edge w/FTT.

I dumped the GTX High mileage yesterday and it's still quite red and dark/dirty for a 3000km oil change interval. When should I change the Castrol Edge? 3000km again or should I wait it out 5000km? I have 3 oil changes worth of Mobile1 High Mileage on deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back