Thoughts on the BK "Ghost Pepper" Chicken nuggets?

Why do people associate one with the other? Spicy food doesn't mean it has to be hot, just that it has many flavorful spices.

That's a common word to describe the effects of capsicum. I guess we also use the word heat, but it's not really heat either. It's more a sensation of pain.

Other languages have specific words to describe the effect. Chinese has a lot of words that are really vague or inaccurate without context, but there's a specific word for the effect of chili pepper, which is 辣 (Là). I looked up the way it's described in various Indian languages, but they all seem to be metaphors like we have in English.

Why do people associate one with the other? Spicy food doesn't mean it has to be hot, just that it has many flavorful spices.

Are you asking me why other people associate both as the same or insinuating I am?

My son and I enjoy hot pepper type foods as well as spicy foods, such as Jamaican Jerk (two separate types of experiences). I believe the words have been associated together because, at least in my encounters, people who tolerate extremely hot foods can also tolerate spicy foods.

Because the terms have different meanings. If I'm ordering Chinese or Indian and they ask me if I like it spicy and I say yes, I hope they don't think I want it hot. Now of course, I'll say to them, as long as it's NOT hot.

I like my women just like my food. Hot AND spicy.

(If you guys could only hear my wife in the background - "yeah OK Romeo"...HAHAHA!!!)

I think it affects people differently. I can taste a lot of flavor in very spicy foods on top of the heat.

+1.
Several months ago, I watched a pepper-eating contest on TV. The contest started out with probably 50-some people and in the beginning, they had each contestant eat a very mild pepper. The TV captioning gave the viewers the heat ratings of each pepper. Each pepper that was eaten after that was hotter than the previous pepper and the intensity greatly increased with probably 10 levels of different peppers. One-by-one, the contestants exited the contest, some of them throwing up, some of them screaming for milk to drink, some of them really wanting to rip their tongues out of their heads, but all of them tearing up in their eyes.
Except for one. The contest winner had a smile on the whole time and acted as if the peppers were candy. She, yes, a lady, was declared the winner, waved to the crowd and calmly walked off the stage as if she'd had the best meal of her life.

I can't see eating raw hot peppers, they gotta be in something, I use dried peppers in stuff, like putting some Carolina Reaper flakes in my nacho dip, my sister decided she'd do the same one time, her reaction was instant regret.

+1.
Several months ago, I watched a pepper-eating contest on TV. The contest started out with probably 50-some people and in the beginning, they had each contestant eat a very mild pepper. The TV captioning gave the viewers the heat ratings of each pepper. Each pepper that was eaten after that was hotter than the previous pepper and the intensity greatly increased with probably 10 levels of different peppers. One-by-one, the contestants exited the contest, some of them throwing up, some of them screaming for milk to drink, some of them really wanting to rip their tongues out of their heads, but all of them tearing up in their eyes.
Except for one. The contest winner had a smile on the whole time and acted as if the peppers were candy. She, yes, a lady, was declared the winner, waved to the crowd and calmly walked off the stage as if she'd had the best meal of her life.

I heard about a woman in India who eats ghost peppers like they're candy. She'll even take them and rub them in her eyes. Tried to find more about her, and apparently she's got her own English language Wikipedia entry.

+1.
You might like Hot Ones on YouTube. They take famous actors etc and they ramp up eating a chicken wing with increasingly hot sauce while interviewing them. My favorite so far is Nick Offerman

I enjoy a whopper on occasion. Prefer their fries over many others as well
Terrible. BK is bottom of the barrel alongside KFC. I'd rather get a COVID swab than eat at either. At least the COVID swab is free.
You might like Hot Ones on YouTube. They take famous actors etc and they ramp up eating a chicken wing with increasingly hot sauce while interviewing them. My favorite so far is Nick Offerman
Alton Brown's episode is tops!

Back