Thoughts on oci for OPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
The predator generator 3200W calls for 50hr changes. At 50hr the M1 HM 10w-30 looks barely used. I started thinking...

M1 HM 10w-30 is good for 10k miles in my vehicle and probably more. There is obviously a filter in the equation but I’m starting to think that extended change intervals for OPE are reasonable with appropriate oils.

A couple of questions. First is there a mileage to hours average we can use.
Second, how long does it take to build up a damaging level of particulates in OPE without oil filtration. Once engines are broken in they shed very little metal, and the stuff that’s detected in oil analysis is too small to damage anything.

Third for OPE that has automotive style oil filtration, how much does this change oci?

Thoughts?

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
The predator generator 3200W calls for 50hr changes. At 50hr the M1 HM 10w-30 looks barely used. I started thinking...

M1 HM 10w-30 is good for 10k miles in my vehicle and probably more. There is obviously a filter in the equation but I’m starting to think that extended change intervals for OPE are reasonable with appropriate oils.

Thoughts?

Why are you thinking that extended change intervals for OPE are reasonable with appropriate oils? Because the oil 'looks barely used'.
Please substantiate your thought process.....

Have several gens and had similar results and thoughts … but since the amount is just a quart started using clearance Delo, Delvac, and oil from jugs in reused single bottles …

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010

Thoughts?

Why are you thinking that extended change intervals for OPE are reasonable with appropriate oils? Because the oil 'looks barely used'.
Please substantiate your thought process.....

Oil is still Amber, only slightly darkened, no visible metal like there was after break-in.

I’m not telling anybody to not change the oil in their OPE, I just want to have an intelligent discussion.

Cost isn't an issue sine the volume is so small, and I don't mind doing the changes every fall before winter storage. The old oil on my mower looks quite dark in the drain pan by the end of the season, but would probably test fine.

Because most equipment is carbureted and dumps raw fuel in the oil while under choke.

I change the oil every spring and fall in power equipment and if I didn’t use the generator all year it gets changed once a year to get the condensation out. I run it for about a half hour before the oil change. Also if I didn’t use it all year I drain the gas and fill it back up. I dump the year old gas (treated with MMO) in the wife’s daily driver to burn it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back