Generators: Modern Oils = Longer OCI's ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Cujet

As a general rule, an oil with an HTHS of 3.8 or more is sufficient for generator use in South Florida.

Where does Rotella 15W-40 fall in that range spec?

I've never had any issues running any hard-working OPE on 15W-40 (Rotella or otherwise)

Bubbatime always said.....use sae50 oil in Florida (or in hot&humid conditions)....thats where 3.8 comes from...
smile.gif

I run Valvoline VR1 synthetic 10w30 year round. with a touch of LubriMoly

I Haven't changed the oil in over 5 years, but its hasn't run over 20 hours

I should change it - but no VR1 10W30 Synthetic anymore AFAIKT

Auto zone maybe?

I got BAD bearing rap wiith 10w30 ILSAC PCMO after the thing warmed up under load.

ILSAC engery conserving PCMO is Totally Insufficient for 28oz in a 10 HP splash lubed a/c generator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I got BAD bearing rap wiith 10w30 ILSAC PCMO after the thing warmed up under load.

ILSAC engery conserving PCMO is Totally Insufficient for 28oz in a 10 HP splash lubed a/c generator.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

I should change it - but no VR1 10W30 Synthetic anymore AFAIKT

Auto zone maybe?

Hard to find on the shelf now. Try AAP or on Amazon every day.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N

NO?
I tried a couple brands and it didn't work in my Generac w/ Chonda OHV.

Why do you think they rec SAE30 and come SAE30 FF.

I see you have VW 504 in your Yaris so you must give some credence to real synthetic and proper HTHS .

Cum știți că dețin Sânge Românesc?

If you're suggesting that Yaris is of Romanian origin..its not...its french made... Only LC is a purebred Japanese
smile.gif

VW 504/507 comes in xW30 only...and thats the only reason that you see sae30 oil in my subscription
smile.gif

99‰ of mid/low saps (for DPF) oils here in EU come in 5w30 flavour

I am thinkering to put Shell Rimula R6ML 10w40 in it in the future... its "low" saps but in HDEO world...decisions decisions
smile.gif
Dunno if that is good for my 11years old DPF...

LC is already waiting for full saps version R6M in 10w40...its old school EURO3 diesel...no egr no dpf

I dont understand that aproach with low HTHS oils anywhere...especially over the pond where you have 5.7 V8s....and u want to justify what?
laugh.gif
0.003241 oz. lower fuel consumption in your gasoline guzzlers?

Thats funny
smile.gif

Last edited:
If you're suggesting that Yaris is of Romanian origin..its not...its french made... Only LC is a purebred Japanese
smile.gif

VW 504/507 comes in xW30 only...and thats the only reason that you see sae30 oil in my subscription
smile.gif

99‰ of mid/low saps (for DPF) oils here in EU come in 5w30 flavour

I am thinkering to put Shell Rimula R6ML 10w40 in it in the future... its "low" saps but in HDEO world...decisions decisions
smile.gif
Dunno if that is good for my 11years old DPF...

LC is already waiting for full saps version R6M in 10w40...its old school EURO3 diesel...no egr no dpf

I dont understand that aproach with low HTHS oils anywhere...especially over the pond where you have 5.7 V8s....and u want to justify what?
laugh.gif
0.003241 oz. lower fuel consumption in your gasoline guzzlers?

Thats funny
smile.gif

Well, my V8 is a 5.8 but that's neither here nor there. Not everyone across the pond is trying to justify or even wanting low saps oils but perhaps I misunderstand?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by Astro_Guy

Personally I WOULD NOT extend the OCI beyond 100 hours if you are running the generator continuously for days on end.

WHY?
Well then,
  • The manufacturer recommends against it
  • Many less demanding OPE applications call for a 50 hour OCI
  • 100 hours on a generator is nothing like 100 hours on your car at highway speed, because in the latter application the oil will seldom reach temperatures much above 100 C
  • Oil in a generator running flat out will reach some maximum temperature determined by the ambient conditions, and this will be > 150 C much of the time. Basically you are cooking that oil
  • Unlike your car, which is using < 25% of available power most of the time, a generator will use >50-75% of available power much of the time

I guess the operative cliche here is that "your mileage may vary." I wouldn't run my air cooled generator continuously for more than 4-5 days without an oil change, but you are all free to do what you want.

Remember, if you have to make hot water with an electric water heater ran from your generator, if you run a 240 VAC water heater on 120 VAC it will only require 1/4 the rated Watts. This is because at 1/2 Volts it will draw 1/2 Amps.

1/2 Volts X 1/2 Amps = 1/4 Watts.

Of course at 1/4 Watts it will take 4 times longer to heat the water after you use it and fresh cold water has entered the water heater.

While this trick takes longer to heat water it is significantly less load on your generator.

Originally Posted by SOHCman
Not everyone across the pond is trying to justify or even wanting low saps oils but perhaps I misunderstand?

Sorry to "missled" you....my point was that I dont undrstand/support CAFE/ILSAC oils....& oily water flavours like 0w20 or 5w20...

We dont have CAFE directly...but EU car manufacturers are pushing low HTHS oil versions (ACEA C5/C2/C1....VW508/509)...

I would export all that oily water to you
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
Follow bubbatime threads in that OPE section...
Or this: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...craftman-5500-watt-generator#Post5182531

Personally I WOULD NOT extend the OCI beyond 100 hours if you are running the generator continuously for days on end.

I agree with Astro to stay with the 100 hr. oil change and stick with the specified weight oil.. I doubt Bubba is more qualified to question the people who built the engine.

Last edited:
I've decided (well life decided) that I'll be doing a 100hr OCI like the manual calls for. It's currently filled wothM1 TDT 5w40 and hasn't needed any oil top offs when refueling. It'll hit the 100hr mark (4days of continuous running) this afternoon when I get home from work. I'll refill with 1.16qts of M1 TDT 5w40.

Power is suppose to be off for another couple of days minimum, longer if PG&E have repairs ro make. I would use some of the Valvoline Heavy Duty Maxlife 15w40 in my stash but the M1 TDT 5w40 is already open.

Temps have been 62°f day/32°f night.

Originally Posted by SavagePatch
Power is suppose to be off for another couple of days minimum, longer if PG&E have repairs to make.
Hope you get your power back soon.

They have just extended the ETIC for power in the Placerville area (Sierra foothills) to the evening of 2 November. I don't think my Harbor Freight $80 generator is going to cut it for that long.

15W40 oil changed every 100 hours sounds good to me.

Fuel dilution can be pretty extensive in small engines. I wouldn't want to go out past 100 hours personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back