Thoughts on buying a car with a rebuilt title?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: 7055
Whoa whoa whoa wolf, calm down... All I did is ask an innocent question about how Carfax reports work, nobody said that I'm on my way down with $15,500 in hand to purchase the car right now... It's good to ask questions, questions are how you learn.

You actually asked a bunch of other questions, it wasn't just the carfax question. I sell homes and go to a lot of home inspections, the inspectors are always upfront about telling people that they only inspect what they can see, just because they don't see it, doesn't mean that it's fine. Same with the mechanic, it sounds like you think a mechanic can look it over and give it a clean bill of health, but that's not how it works.

I was completely aware that a mechanic cannot know everything.

Here's article talking about CarFax and it's short comings. He may not have report the accident which why it won't show on CarFax.

http://www.moneytalksnews.com/can-you-trust-carfax-plus-4-ways-avoid-buying-dud/

My two cents.....Not worth it! You will have no warranty because of the title. You may not be able to insure it or even finance it (if you need to finance the car). Lots of good cars out there for $15k.

Good luck.

Don't do it!

One wonders why the buy-here-pay-here lots skipped this car at auction and this dude got it. And how the dude got it without a dealer license.

BHPH love salvage cars as the buyer's already paid it off before they even see the title. Even if nine yokels check the carfax and pass there'll be a tenth who won't, and who'll buy the car.

I've had two rebuilt-titled cars, both decent. Someone else went through the rigamorale of getting inspected. I carry only liability insurance. Cars were over 100k and a few thousand bucks, so it's easier for them to total out over minor stuff.

You're looking at an almost new car, lots of profit motive to do it wrong. Plus lots of competition of idiots who want a "nearly new car to save money". This is not the competition you want!

PS something like this, ask for pictures before, during, and after. Stuff like the B-pillar, if wrinkled, will total the whole car out.

Here's a good way to look at it. If you can afford to spend $15,000 on a vehicle that has unconfirmed damage, that likely will present unusual repair problems, that has no Subaru warranty protection except emissions, that will be valued less by YOUR insurance company if you ever have a claim and that very well could be or become a lemon, then by all means go for it.

I got full coverage insurance on my truck with State Farm, no problem. I didn't finance it. I paid cash. Iam sure you could finance that car. You would just have to be tricky. These sign and drive places get the worst through. Depending on your credit, banks will give you what they call "Anything" loans.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Hello all,

I found a really nice '14 Forester 2.5i on Craigslist, it's a touring edition completely decked out with all the options and 47k on the clock. MSRP is somewhere around 22,000+ and he's asking 15,500. He says it is a rebuilt title that he purchased from an auction and fixed himself. It was supposedly a side swipe accident on the front end (driver's side). He claims no frame damage and the front bumper cover fender, and door was repainted. Is it plausible a car would be totaled out and end up as a rebuilt title if it really was just cosmetic damage?

I am going to look at the car on Saturday, what are some thoughts on what I should look for?

Thanks

Not for that money.

The warranty bit doesnt bother me that much - it has 47k miles on it and so it wouldnt necessarily have a warranty anyway.

But for something that was obviously totaled, and then rebuilt, it must have had a lot of damage done... if they were asking $5k for it and it looked and drove good and you had it checked out by a competent mechanic... maybe. For that kind of cash? No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back