Thoughts on 2010 Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the only real complaint I have about our Avalon is that it doesn't have VSC or traction control! Back in the mid-2000s, those things were still optional, and a bunch of on-the-lot cars could be found without. I'd NEVER have taken a car without those, but ours is Burgundy (Cassis Pearl in marketing-speak...) and the wife wanted the Burgundy one. There were black and blizzard pearl examples properly equipped, but . . . well, y'all know where THAT conversation ended (see signature).
smirk2.gif

Anyway, even in slightly milder 2007 tune, our Avalon will absolutely rip its tires free from the pavement, on command, at pretty much any speed below 30 mph. I don't do it often -- it can't be doing the trans any favors (and I know what it does to the tires...). Anyway, if you choose the V-6 car, you WILL NOT be disappointed with its ability to get up and go when you call for power.

I don't think V blocks should have overhead cams. Let alone be mounted side wise. Way too much has to happen just right. Love the twin OHC in an in line engine.

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Originally Posted by ekpolk
Yes. Unlike the MZ series before it, which adopted VVT mid-life, the xGR engines (2.5, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0L) have all had VVT from the start.

Hopefully it's not the hydraulically operated VVT that relies on engine oil to operate. Hopefully it's electric solenoid operated VVT.

It does operate on oil, which is a bit of a problem on many at not-that-high mileages because of the 5W30 conventional oil spec and 5000+ mile programming on the OLM.

Having to do all 4 VVT solenoids (the codes don't specify which ONE has failed, only which BANK) can get VERY expensive. And doing the rears necessitates the 2.5 hours of labor required for rear bank access-at which point, the $150+ coils and $15/ea spark plugs should probably be done, and you need a new plenum gasket.

The only other weak link in this drivetrain that I'm aware of is the oil control tube for the VVT that's buried on the side of the engine. From the factory it's a weak rubber hose that blows and loses all oil pressure instantly. Toyota issued a rubber replacement for the recall (which they did for free), and then a metal version that you can purchase at full price for replacement. I highly recommend researching if this has been done, if it has failed, and getting the fully upgraded metal version installed ASAP.

Congrats, I would buy it too.

The VVT issues are not common. Yes, the plugs require removal of the intake manifold plenum (upper portion) but it is very easy to do compared to the older 3.0/3.3.

The timing covers do sometimes leak, but it is what it is.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Thanks, I'll look into all this.

I bought it.
smile.gif

Good deal
smile.gif

And I hope you have the best of luck with the car.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack
Yes. Unlike the MZ series before it, which adopted VVT mid-life, the xGR engines (2.5, 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0L) have all had VVT from the start.

Hopefully it's not the hydraulically operated VVT that relies on engine oil to operate. Hopefully it's electric solenoid operated VVT.

It does operate on oil, which is a bit of a problem on many at not-that-high mileages because of the 5W30 conventional oil spec and 5000+ mile programming on the OLM.

Having to do all 4 VVT solenoids (the codes don't specify which ONE has failed, only which BANK) can get VERY expensive. And doing the rears necessitates the 2.5 hours of labor required for rear bank access-at which point, the $150+ coils and $15/ea spark plugs should probably be done, and you need a new plenum gasket.

The only other weak link in this drivetrain that I'm aware of is the oil control tube for the VVT that's buried on the side of the engine. From the factory it's a weak rubber hose that blows and loses all oil pressure instantly. Toyota issued a rubber replacement for the recall (which they did for free), and then a metal version that you can purchase at full price for replacement. I highly recommend researching if this has been done, if it has failed, and getting the fully upgraded metal version installed ASAP.

KalapanaBlack, do you have a part number for this oil control tube, or the recall number? I can't find the part or anything about it.

This is the list for 2010 Camry's, 9 recalls, nothing about the engine.
https://www.cars.com/research/toyota-camry-2010/recalls/

Last edited:
I need to pick up something for my 50-ish mile (each way) commute, which is 85% Highway and 15% City. Local place with good rep has a low mileage 2010 Camry LE with the 3.5L V6 (2GR-FE I guess?) for a good price. Apparently this engine is a beast.

I'm leaning towards the V6 because, hey, V6 power, but mostly better ride due to heavier weight. EPA is 19/28 but apparently these things due well on the highway. If I get 24/25 that'll be fine. Car has 16" wheels which is good for me, not a fan of 18's due to harsh ride and tire cost.

But before I spring I want to make sure there's no smoking guns on this engine or vehicle. I see there's some folks who suffered from early water pump failure, apparently that can be caught early just by checking the coolant level often. I'm already in that habit (2005 Honda Pilot needed constant monitoring until the radiator finally gave out, common problem for that model year). Early guidance was to pull the engine to replace, later disconnect a few things to get to it.

Anything more I should consider? Snow performance is not a big deal. If it snows I can work from home.

I get 24-25mpg in SIenna AWD with that engine (city is another story).
Engine/transmission combination is fine. Rest? It is Camry. Personally they are IMO mediocre when it comes to assembly quality and forget ANY KIND of dynamic.
Expect pretty healthy torque steer which might be serious problem in slick conditions.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Engine/transmission combination is fine. Rest? It is Camry. Personally they are IMO mediocre when it comes to assembly quality and forget ANY KIND of dynamic.
Expect pretty healthy torque steer which might be serious problem in slick conditions.

For my second fillup/first MPG, I got 25.6 in mixed driving, half town, half highway. That's a good sign. Range is over 400 miles.

As for the rest, I get it, it's not a German car or even a Mazda... which is just fine by me.

Originally Posted by edyvw

For my second fillup/first MPG, I got 25.6 in mixed driving, half town, half highway. That's a good sign. Range is over 400 miles.

As for the rest, I get it, it's not a German car or even a Mazda... which is just fine by me.

There is no way I can get 400 miles. But I do drive it aggressively.

The Camry's nothing special and while the power delivery of the 2GR-FE is not as brash as the Accord V6(which has less HP/TQ than it), those V6 Camrys are smooth and suprisingly quick. I think these will benefit from a good set of tires(Michelin Premier/Conti PureContact/Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus) and maybe some better shocks. It's a Toyota - the normal maintenance disclaimers and the suspension bushings need to be mentioned here.

Just make sure the VVT oil hose recall was done, if it was subject to it. The water pumps on these are accessory belt driven off the crank but I heard they aren't a picnic to get after. I saw The Critic do a PS return line on these as well.

Originally Posted by KalapanaBlack

KalapanaBlack, do you have a part number for this oil control tube, or the recall number? I can't find the part or anything about it.

This is the list for 2010 Camry's, 9 recalls, nothing about the engine.
https://www.cars.com/research/toyota-camry-2010/recalls/

https://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1906

Perhaps it wasn't a full recall, but there was definitely a service campaign. Just google "2GRFE VVT Oil Line." TONS of information about which parts to use, what to check for to see if it's been replaced (original all-rubber tubes have no markings, replaced rubber ones have orange or yellow, upgraded metal have some sort of marking of their own). Not the worst job to do apparently, but it's pretty buried. Not much can be done on this engine easily, it's almost like a big block wedged into a small car.

A few other spotty issues I've seen have to do with the very complex, expensive belt tensioner assembly, which requires loosening/removing the alternator due to a hidden shared mounting bolt, the water pump (which is harder than average to get to), and the factory struts often leak (Toyota addressed widespread, low mileage strut leakage by calling it normal... Eh, they don't exactly pour out but I think there shouldn't be any leakage at 20, 30, 40k miles...).

I don't necessarily mean to make this sound like a bad buy. I'm a big Toyota fan, feeling they GENERALLY are some of the most reliable, ruggedly-designed vehicles out there. I generally think the Fat Toyota 1990s designs tend to be better overall, and the mid-00s to mid-10s were hit by some cost-cutting, and a concerted effort to reduce environmental impact in a "cradle to grave" sense that resulted in less longevity in many of the parts. I would still say that a Camry V6 of this generation would be in the top 10% most reliable vehicles ever made, and have seen many with 150k+ and even some with 300k still running well. It's not going to be maintenance free, depending on the mileage and previous care, but it's a good car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back