Camry SE I4 vs V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

So in my constantly-shifting search for a car remedy or midsize, I was lucky enough to get rear-ended last week.

After my Corolla gets fixed, I think I will be back in the market and sell my 16" wheels (I haven't put them on yet).

I am thinking the Camry SE is a good choice (a lightly used 2012 or 2013), firmer suspension than the floaty LE or XLE, but comes with nice amenities. The biggest choice for me is I4 or V6.

So far, I feel the pros and cons are:
V6 Pros: It HAULS, it feels more planted, the steering is tighter, AC has less of an affect on performance?
V6 Cons: 18 wheels have tiny sidewall and tires will be expensive, more for gas, more for car, more for insurance, more for maintenance, more for potential repairs, loses value faster (by a considerable amount, too), somewhat nose-heavy.

I4 Pros: Great on gas, pretty well-refined 4cyl engine, handles better, breaks better, enough acceleration?
I4 Cons: Not as quick, A/C may hurt accel (some say this)

So it looks like the I4 is the better choice, especially since I can get one 1k cheaper than the V6 and with half the miles (8,500 vs 19k). I drive in 20-30mph stop and go on my commute to and from work every day, which is in the city of Boston. On weekends I may do varied highway driving, though I suspect the 4cyl Camry is powerful enough. I rarely go any faster than 70mph, and I'm sure the 4 will be a step up.

The only long cruise I go on is the occoasional trip to NJ, which is 330miles, perhaps at most doing 75.

In my position, what would be the sensible choice for someone who is not tight on money by any means, but does not want to waste money. Is the 4 really enough, or will I be kicking myself? Will I be happy when gas continues to creep upward?

If you want something quick- don't get camry. Look for hot hatches. They can be fuel efficient and quick and very fun to drive. Focus ST,Abarth, WV GTI, MS3

Originally Posted By: MBS500
If you want something quick- don't get camry. Look for hot hatches. They can be fuel efficient and quick and very fun to drive. Focus ST,Abarth, WV GTI, MS3

I don't really want something quick. I want something comfortable, as I don't really have many opportunities or desires to go that fast. I just want something larger and more comfortable, but that can also accelerate onto the highway without pegging at 5k.

I had a rental camry. Well balanced car with great gas mileage. Only you can decide if you'll regret not having the 6, but othrwise you can't go wrong with the 4.

I drove the 2013 camry with 4 cylinder. I thought it was sufficient, not a sports car by any means but not weak. I think the 4 is a smart choice but the power of the v6...i am planning on getting a camry within next year or two..so im gona test drive both models to see for myself. Either way you cant go wrong, great car!

Originally Posted By: Burt
I had a rental camry. Well balanced car with great gas mileage. Only you can decide if you'll regret not having the 6, but othrwise you can't go wrong with the 4.

I remember LAST time I had my Corolla in for minor body work, the 4cyl basic LE Camry I had was night and day. Accelerated much better (and still I think was way easier to steer/drive than the 6 I tested) than my Corolla. It felt like going from a cruise ship to a bicycle when I got the Corolla back.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Pentastar powered Avenger/200?

I really, really like the 200. It's a BEAUTIFUL car, IMO. The gas milage of the Pentastar (19 city) would simply be killer where I live and drive
frown.gif
. 300-500 miles a week some weeks, that gas would add up.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I drove the 2013 camry with 4 cylinder. I thought it was sufficient, not a sports car by any means but not weak. I think the 4 is a smart choice but the power of the v6...i am planning on getting a camry within next year or two..so im gona test drive both models to see for myself. Either way you cant go wrong, great car!

Thanks for the input! From the rental I had, I remember I never wanted for get-up and go, even on highway passing (the 6spd cruises at nice low RPMs, too). The 6 just HAULS though, but I really feel it comes at a cost of agility, I felt breaking and handling were moderately weaker.

I think you'll find the Camry-4 sufficient.
Years ago a relative was buying a Honda, first the 4 of us piled into a Civic EX with a 4 (1.6liter). Next, drove an Accord 4 (2.2liter). Night-and-day difference. The Camry-4 is 2.5 liters. Should be sufficient. The Civic had to work to climb hills at 55 and you could tell by the shifting; the Accord just did it.

I don't see how you can go wrong with the bigger i4 engines in these midsize cars. Plenty of power, even if they have to be wrung out a bit to make the torque. My Saab is rated 175/195, and a recent I-95 cruise down south showed just how easy it is to break 100 without noticing it if the car is set up well. No v6 or v8 needed.

I do find these sport and SW versions of couch on wheels appliances silly, but I also agree that the alternate versions really are too soft.

FWIW, my 2013 Sonata 2.4L has plenty of go power. Unless it is a steep grade, it almost never downshifts on the highway on cruise at 65 mph. I never look back and say I should have got a V6 ....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I don't see how you can go wrong with the bigger i4 engines in these midsize cars. Plenty of power, even if they have to be wrung out a bit to make the torque. My Saab is rated 175/195, and a recent I-95 cruise down south showed just how easy it is to break 100 without noticing it if the car is set up well. No v6 or v8 needed.

I do find these sport and SW versions of couch on wheels appliances silly, but I also agree that the alternate versions really are too soft.

Interesting, I believe the Camry is 165/178, and I have no plans of ever breaking 75, so I suppose the 4 is enough, then.

I agree completely, the "sport" version of this car is more like "not a boat with no handling", but still very comfortable. I loved how my RSX handled, but I appreciate/prefer a good balance between precision and ease of turning the wheel.

Originally Posted By: Danno
FWIW, my 2013 Sonata 2.4L has plenty of go power. Unless it is a steep grade, it almost never downshifts on the highway on cruise at 65 mph. I never look back and say I should have got a V6 ....

Thanks, that's good to know. I appreciate the input from people with different but similar cars, and it seems like most people with a larger-displacement I4 is not left wanting for more.

It seems like the V6 option at this point is really just a superfluous luxury (which is great for those that can), but I think it seems like I'd be very happy with the I4.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Mazda6 - you mentioned gas mileage was important. Can't beat either trans on it, too!

Manual is definitely out of the question for where I drive. The Mazda just doesn't do it for me stylistically, and I think I want to stay away from DI (and CVT for Accord/Altima).

I can't deny the car is getting rave reviews, though!

The I4's of today are plenty speedy enough. Plus you will be getting better MPG's. Very reliable as well. I would go for the 4.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
The I4's of today are plenty speedy enough. Plus you will be getting better MPG's. Very reliable as well. I would go for the 4.

In that set up you will get 2 mpg more with the I-4.

Originally Posted By: smc733
Originally Posted By: MBS500

I don't really want something quick. I want something comfortable, as I don't really have many opportunities or desires to go that fast. I just want something larger and more comfortable, but that can also accelerate onto the highway without pegging at 5k.

The only one in that list that qualifies comfortable is the GTI. The rest are fun cars but roller skates.

I had a 2011 Camry with the 4 and was quite impressed with the engine. In fact, it remains one of the best engines I've owned. I prefer it to the GR-series V-6 by a wide margin. Every GR-series engine I've ridden with or driven sounds like it's lubricated with marbles. They are much quicker, obviously, but I'm not all that impressed with them. The AR-series 4-cylinders, on the other hand, really appealed to me. With the 6-speed automatic, it was more than adequate. I had the basic 169 hp version in my base model Camry. An SE comes with a 179 hp version of the 2AR-FE.

I think you'll find that engine exceedingly smooth and very personable. It had a nice growl for a 4-cylinder when pushed hard. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back