Thoughts on 17-18 Volvo XC90?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know absolutely nothing about Volvo's, other than they tend to be safe cars. My wife wants to look at some certified used 2017-18 XC90's. Searching online they seem to have average reliability but that's about all I can find. Anything to look for from folks that have had them? Thanks!

Never had a Volvo suv, but our cars have been great. Repairs can be a little more costly, but not crazy expensive. We've owned the S70 in my sig since new. It's like a part of the family, and just keeps going and going.

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Searching online they seem to have average reliability but that's about all I can find

Seems like many owners love 'em.
Score a solid overall 3.5/5 for the 2017's and 2018's by owners (look out Lexus!)

If your interested, I say go for it.
New models seem to depreciate like crazy, making them a great car to purchase just off lease.
thumbsup2.gif

Nice cars but after the warranty expires, becomes a money pit. Has all the driver assists, electronics and high repair costs of a Mercedes, without any of the prestige. Which is why they depreciate so much. A 10 year old Volvo that cost $50,000 new is worth close to what a 10 year old Corolla that cost $20,000 new does.

I wouldn't say they will become a money pit but no doubt they are more sophisticated than other makes. Of course the utility and driving experience is different and at another level.

Our P2 XC90 has been a good vehicle now with 180K+ miles but I don't know how the newer models like you are considering are different.

Some Volvos are made in China. If you get a good one they can last but if it has trouble the repairs will be expensive. You can look into an extended warraty. Some people love the looks.

Well, we ended up with one tonight. It is a beauty! A 2017 XC90 T6 Inscription AWD PoleStar Tuned with every option. Drives wonderfully and is QUICK with the supercharger and a turbocharger. I'm amazed how a 2.0L moves this thing! The 4 corner air suspension rides great too. Most importantly, the wife LOVES it!

2834BACA-981C-41B0-B908-EC22320D9418.jpeg

C894AB39-FED0-4EB6-946F-D33E068C2399.jpeg

9C734134-6A0F-4FA4-A1E4-C941C213114E.jpeg

8679F342-0DC6-4DB0-A880-37081C4E3375.jpeg

Originally Posted by Y_K
Chinese company

The XC90 is currently manufactured in Sweden while the next generation will be manufactured in South Carolina. If Geely didn't buy them, odds are they wouldn't have built that shiny new plant pumping millions into the local economy and supporting American workers
coffee2.gif

Love the color choice! I'd love to own one of these... that torque though
20.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Love the color choice! I'd love to own one of these... that torque though
20.gif

Oh yeah, great for towing.
I wonder how many Volvo owners use their SUV's/Crossovers for that purpose as well?

Beautiful vehicle! The Bang and Olufsen system is stellar. I'd be sure to buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty through Volvo if I was you.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Beautiful vehicle! The Bang and Olufsen system is stellar. I'd be sure to buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty through Volvo if I was you.

We did
smile.gif
I usually don't, but this one we did!

Yes, that 19 speaker 1,400 watt Bowers & Wilkins system is amazing!

Last edited:
My bad, I remember when the car first came out we had a Grand Introduction event at the dealerships and demonstrated the sound system, it filled the showroom, parking lots, the Bose and Mark Levinson ones sounded puny by comparison, also it depleted the battery in under an hour so you might not want to run it at full blast in accessory mode FYI .

My sister law has a 2016 and the only issue is it seems to eat up brakes. I believe two sets over 50k. Her previous highlander was one set at 60k driven same.

Originally Posted by dwcopple
and is QUICK with the supercharger and a turbocharger.

wait, what?

What part don't you understand?

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by dwcopple
and is QUICK with the supercharger and a turbocharger.

wait, what?

What part don't you understand?

+1
Seems abundantly clear to me
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back