Thoughts about a Rust Treatment?

What if you mixed Fluid Film with "Must For Rust" (A Phosphoric Acid product with some buffering).
Phosphoric Acid is used to "pickle metal" before painting. The FF will keep it on the surface and may even wick it deep into the rust.

Thinking of testing this combo out on surfaces with some rust. Actually already did on some spots. What do you think?

Last edited:
Use them in sequence, Must for Rust-rinse-dry-FF. There are too many unknowns about the mixture such as adhesion, oxidation, rapid corrosion if the FF doesn't totally neutralize the phosphoric acid in the Must for Rust, etc.

Use them in sequence, Must for Rust-rinse-dry-FF. There are too many unknowns about the mixture such as adhesion, oxidation, rapid corrosion if the FF doesn't totally neutralize the phosphoric acid in the Must for Rust, etc.
Must for rust claims to have "crystals" that protect metal. May have traces of Hexavalent Chromium. I believe Phosphoric Acid turns rust into Iron Phosphate, which is quite stable.

The usual recommendation is to wash off the remaining phosphoric acid after a rust treatment. I have used rags moistened with ethanol to wipe off phosphoric acid because I didn't want to use water. Then I seal the surface so no air and water can reach the metal. This never works 100%. Zinc chromate primer would be an effective corrosion-inhibiting primer but it's carcinogenic and probably unavailable. Raw linseed oil works well. It dries however very slowly and it may take weeks until you can paint over it with enamel, epoxy, or marine paint.

Back