This or That? Oil Filters...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just wondering on which oil filter out of these you guys would prefer and why:

-AC PF53
-Napa Gold 1348
-Pure One 10241
-Wix 51348

I'm just wondering. I'm currently using the Pure Ones. I use M1 5W-30 with 6k OCI. I'm curious as to the price/performance of these. I know they are all very well-made filters.

Thanks
grin.gif

Drew

I like the PureOne here. I ran one for about 5k and didn't see any differential pressure. Even its small size didn't seem to matter much. I'm sure it would be fine beyond 10k.

I believe that in most cases, PureOne is the finest out of your list there in terms of filtration. I'm unsure of the PF53 since I don't know a whole lot about AC filters.

In your situation, assuming that you accumulate 6k in a short enough time, could probably change it every other OCI

Wix/Napa Gold are the best ones on your list. Examine each one next to each other & see for yourself. You can be sure that the Wix/Napa quality goes places where you can't see also. Feel the weight differences. For a dollar or two more, ($6.99) I'll grab the Wix/Napa or Bosch (Duralast) Premiums.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Wix/Napa Gold are the best ones on your list. Examine each one next to each other & see for yourself. You can be sure that the Wix/Napa quality goes places where you can't see also. Feel the weight differences. For a dollar or two more, ($6.99) I'll grab the Wix/Napa or Bosch (Duralast) Premiums.

Second that vote for the Wix/Napa Gold. They are the same filter as Wix makes them for Napa and a very good design with good media IMO. You can get them on discount by ordering from Filter 1 or Fleet Filter. Most are only about $3-$5 each from those sites.

I am a big fan of OEM filters, and would go with the PF 53. Seriously, if oil filters were very important, the junkyards would be full of cars with an orange can on the engine. You can walk into Advance Auto or other parts stores any time you need a filter and pick up the PF 53 for about $4. Little evidence the WIX/NAPA is worth using.

Wix and NAPA Gold are exactly the same, so naturally choose the one that is cheapest.

AC I don't think has anything special on the Wix or Pure One.

Pure One should have the best filtering. The Wix has the advantage of the really nice bypass valve design. The Pure One bypass valve is below average in my opinion.

There is some debate on how important the bypass valve is anyway. If you change your filters often, the only time that it might (stress might) open is on the coldest of your Michigan mornings.

Nanofiber filters by Amsoil and K&N oil filters.

Pablo,Ted,Michael can you address this new media and is it available yet?

K&N is showing consistent low insolubles/solids readings in broad array of Auto oil analysis results with multiple oil brands. I surmise it is not in bypass frequently like most others.

"Nanofiber" media full flow filters may be next new thing for filtering effectively while not being in bypass frequently.

Filterguy may know more and I am no filtration expert but I see good results with K&N and am hopeful the Amsoil offering is soon available we can test them.

Sorry Drew, my response was not direct to the question. There is just not that much difference in those you list from what I see unless I use Auto-RX or LC to lower the levels of insolubles that would have to be filtered.

Terry

ive used allt hose filters, on my 95 neon, smae model numbers, except for hte ac delco, i used a pf 47. the ac delco and wix?napa golds are rated at 30 to 40 microns. oin was VERY black when i used those. with the pure one, oils wasnt as black, and still showed a tad bit amber to it. so at least in know, it was fitlering finer and better. i never had a problem, with the restricition flow. however, from what ive read, the pure ones bypass is not really a good desing at all. supposedly, wix's is very good. i remember hearing, valvolines bypas is one of the only few fitlers, thats in the corect position in the filter..
interesitng what Terry had to say!! amsoils fitlers look REALLY good in quality i have 2 of the old ones, SDF hvnt used them yet. but at $13.00 a filter! and the k&N i cna get at my local autozone, for $10.79- rated at 10 to 20 microns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back