This new thing called AI,is it dangerous?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the AI , artifical intelligence going to be good or bad? idk, Mr. Musk says its going to be dangerous.....

If we make it dangerous, it can be. Knowing humans it will be. But I feel that AI will also let us do things we physically cannot or are unwilling to do or make things easier for us.

Palantir used AI to find Bin Laden. The accuracy was uncanny. That alone speaks volumes. The fact that AI can be so powerful, as a force for good, means it can also be used for other purposes, and/or decide on it's own to take action to accomplish a goal that may not align with our needs.

I am a very technical guy and really enjoy what we can accomplish. However, an amoral brain many times more capable than humankind is, I think, a recipe for utter disaster.

Conclusion: Wildly dangerous.

I think this will evolve into something beyond our wildest expectations. Imagine what it can do 20 years from now.

No more call centers will be one way we can experience AI, Google tested a synthetic voice and AI in a customer service interaction experiment, the users couldn't tell the difference. Everything will be AI.

Military, business, and possibly political and social decisions will be made with these systems. Of course it would require accurate data, garbage in garbage out as they say.

I just used Mid Journey to make an image for one of my YouTube videos as what I needed was very specific and I could not find a stock picture online. The prompt I used was something like "rectangular cardboard box moving on a conveyor belt towards an incinerator, realistic photo". Mid journey gave me multiple images, I selected one iteration and kept fine tuning the image until I got this:

Disposable Oil Change Box AI.JPG

Here are 4 options the AI generated when I put in a prompt for a 1982 F150 with a 2 tone brown and white paint scheme. It got year wrong, using a 1978 body style and oddly a Ranger grille and headlight for the tailgate of one iteration.

f150.png

Last edited:
AI is extraordinarily dangerous, and is akin to the "next" nuclear weapon type leap in science that occurred in the 1940s. That ushered in an entire permanent era of bad Hollywood movies. In seriousness, that did usher in an entire era of near universally very bad things for mankind, to include weapons that can destroy the world. While some good did come of studying radiation, of course the X-ray machine, nuclear power, and other examples, there are horrific unimaginally bad actual and potential uses of these weapons.

Off the top of my head, some actual negative effects are the displacement of a large portion of white and blue collar workers, near all professions in sciences, mathematics, law, medicine, etc. can all be done or soon can be done with AI. Add in chat functions and deepfake technologies, even just the civilian versions, and humans are almost replaceable. If it does not require a human to be doing the activity, it is replaceable. We're probably close to basic humanoid and animal type robotics that can utilize AI, so that eliminates a greater number of professions. Robotics will be able to do a significant percentage of manual labor as well, and already do at Amazon warehouses and factory labor jobs like auto factories. More jobs, cut.

One of the most direct issues is humanity designing, building, and training our replacements, and making ourselves obsolete. Some might think that is a eutopia. It is not. It is a nightmare. First, how are humans to earn money, or engage in any constructive endeavors? Idle hands tend to be the Devils playground. I see significant socio-economic problems. Secondly, I see significant divorce of humanity, followed by more tyranny and oppression of mankind and animals. Third, the separation between the haves and the have-nots will grow faster and faster, as it has done in the last 50 years mostly due to technological advancements. We are already oppressed by machines that make us comply with them, and work with them. We spend most of our days, doing what machines tell us to do (largely due to human creators and programmers, but those then efficiently corral the masses).

AI has been and will continue to be nefariously employed to control and oppress mankind in ways we have not yet begun to imagine. It's a frightening time, really. Just look at the radically bad transformation of the US in just the last 20 years. Mostly turned into varying degrees of a police state and all that entails. It's just going to evolve into more totalitarian human control thru AI and bots IMO.

I believe we are simply marching closer to our own extinction where AI bots and then humanoid and animal shaped drones control us.

I remember when Detroit and the US auto industry was the envy of the world. In just a couple decades, humans were largely replaced by automation. The result has been utter devastation. Americans with a HS certificate or less, could work in a respectable job, earn a living wage, and provide for a family unit. Then came automation, robotics, computers.

Those jobs were eliminated (some overseas, some automation). The result was a hollow cavity of industry in the rust belt. Detroit now generally ranks as one of the poorest most dangerous dilapidated cities in the US. Crime, drug abuse, alcoholism, and homelessness plague those once proud linages of folks who had good jobs. The jobs and income were gone, family units destroyed, and the state social systems replaced the husband/father.

I see that on a macro scale in the US and the world, where AI, chat, and bots replace humans and make us obsolete. There are few careers that are immune. Pilots, doctors, nurses, actors, lawyers, soldiers, mechanics, engineers, scientists, delivery drivers, taxi drivers, farmers, detectives, police, manufacturers, marketing, entertainment (actors, singers, songwriters, etc.), etc. etc. etc. We already have professions replaced by automation and chat bots using AI, marketing, etc. But we're probably 10 years or less from most professions being replaced. Humans simply cannot adapt fast enough to "get a new career," en mass as will be expected. Then humans become obsolete and disposable. I see large widespread increases in depression, violence, poverty, drugs and alcohol abuse in our immediate future as a result.

AI is extraordinarily dangerous, and is akin to the "next" nuclear weapon type leap in science that occurred in the 1940s. That ushered in an entire permanent era of bad Hollywood movies. In seriousness, that did usher in an entire era of near universally very bad things for mankind, to include weapons that can destroy the world. While some good did come of studying radiation, of course the X-ray machine, nuclear power, and other examples, there are horrific unimaginally bad actual and potential uses of these weapons.

Off the top of my head, some actual negative effects are the displacement of a large portion of white and blue collar workers, near all professions in sciences, mathematics, law, medicine, etc. can all be done or soon can be done with AI. Add in chat functions and deepfake technologies, even just the civilian versions, and humans are almost replaceable. If it does not require a human to be doing the activity, it is replaceable. We're probably close to basic humanoid and animal type robotics that can utilize AI, so that eliminates a greater number of professions. Robotics will be able to do a significant percentage of manual labor as well, and already do at Amazon warehouses and factory labor jobs like auto factories. More jobs, cut.

One of the most direct issues is humanity designing, building, and training our replacements, and making ourselves obsolete. Some might think that is a eutopia. It is not. It is a nightmare. First, how are humans to earn money, or engage in any constructive endeavors? Idle hands tend to be the Devils playground. I see significant socio-economic problems. Secondly, I see significant divorce of humanity, followed by more tyranny and oppression of mankind and animals. Third, the separation between the haves and the have-nots will grow faster and faster, as it has done in the last 50 years mostly due to technological advancements. We are already oppressed by machines that make us comply with them, and work with them. We spend most of our days, doing what machines tell us to do (largely due to human creators and programmers, but those then efficiently corral the masses).

AI has been and will continue to be nefariously employed to control and oppress mankind in ways we have not yet begun to imagine. It's a frightening time, really. Just look at the radically bad transformation of the US in just the last 20 years. Mostly turned into varying degrees of a police state and all that entails. It's just going to evolve into more totalitarian human control thru AI and bots IMO.

I believe we are simply marching closer to our own extinction where AI bots and then humanoid and animal shaped drones control us.

I'm going to corner the market on aluminum foil so I can resell to everyone to make hats.....

Just thinking out loud here, but I don't think AI and capitalism, free markets, and ever increasing economic growth really works well together, as AI probably will take a significant proportion of jobs. And if one company develops a high functioning and fast learning AI system first, it may only be a short amount of time before they "win" a large portion the economy.... Should the shareholders or even single owner of that company live like an emperor, while the rest of us starve and die out?
We need a work sharing and wealth sharing plan that benefits society on the whole planet, as AI represents a chance for an equal society where everyone has lots of family and leisure time. Trickle down economics won't work with 50-90% of jobs not needed.... And letting AI run amok in military conflicts probably won't end well either, so competition between nation states will have to become reduced to stuff like sports and not territory and natural resources.
Who knows, maybe AI can develop systems of re-use and recycling so hardly any new natural resources are necessary?

Last edited:
It honestly is. A ton of jobs even high level ones like chemistry. science, engineering, accounting, and even computer science and software development since ai can code and it's known to recognize what is right or wrong then adapt itself. All those jobs will get wiped. Prepare to have populations without purpose and it would be the corporations that would take advantage so they'd make a killing while also not pay anyone. And in this capitalist society you need people to get paid. They'd try to tax the corporations and promise to use that money for ubi of the now unemployed. But the government is gonna pull a government with that money and the populace will get shafted out of it. So in the end the average joe loses. The rich and powerful only benefit. There is no honest scenario where ai actually helps the little guy. It may help us in useless ways like answering a dumb question on google but that's mostly it.

Whatever you think of EV's - Elon Musk is a genios. He says its dangerous. He says he tried to get people to listen - Obama, senators, etc - and no one would.

His premise is even if it improves at a fraction of a percentage point a year, it will overtake humans at some point, at which time we will become worthless to it. So he says.

Having seen what ChatGPT is capable of at this initial stage, as a developer, I have to say that it's quite astonishing. Everyone in our peer group instinctually could grasp that the changes AI is going to bring are staggering. I'm glad my son decided he didn't want to be a developer after all.

Even fields like counseling and psychology are going to be bulldozed by it. Same with teaching, travel agents, event planners, artists, graphic design, web development, ect.

One area it's going to massively impact is medicine. Researchers at Microsoft were able to predict pancreatic cancer in search engine test subjects long before symptoms showed up based on search patterns that their AI discovered.

I saw another article about someone using ChatGPT to successfully diagnose their dog's illness based a on symptoms when their vet could not figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back