This guy says pre-filling an oil filter is bad and that all manufacturers say so.

saw it. risk of contamination is there, but probably not measurable. If it's a filter with threaded opening vertical, I mostly fill & lube lip with clean oil.
Where's the risk? Plastic cap ring falling in?

I knew which video it was before I checked it… sorry Ray, but I tend to disagree with a few of the way he does his repairs.

A different video had him weld in a painted muffler in a rusty exhaust… he didn’t even clean the ends of the pipes or the paint off the muffler… 🤨

If you are the kind of person (like me) that worries about the short time before oil pressure comes up while the filter fills you are probably the kind that makes sure nothing else drops into your filter. I always wipe the threads with my finger and then turn it upside down to see if any metal falls out, then I prefill it and wipe the little that ends up on the ADB onto the gasket. I also like to wipe down the area around the filter and the seat so nothing drops in the filter when I go to install it. Of course its overkill but thats why I do my own maint. I like overkill. I am just a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

There is more risk of dirt dropping into the engine when removing the fill cap than by pouring oil into the filter.
Exactly! The guy in the video is an idiot. He says ALL manufacturers say not to pre-refill. Nowhere in any of our manuals or fsm's does it list such verbiage.

I saw numerous invitations for contamination during his procedure.

One big issue is not oiling the gasket. I don't see any reason not to, and it's a simple step to skip. It takes less time to do it, than to explain why you're not doing it. I don't get it. At all.

I favor pre-filling the filter, but it's not always possible for those ones that are sideways or difficult angles. As for contaminants, as mentioned above more dirt can get in the engine with the oil cap off than risk of contamination in the filter. I guess it's possible. You could use a coffee strainer to ensure no particles get into the filter if you're OCD. But this is an extreme level of OCD.

I use a little kitchen funnel strainer like this to pre fill the oil filter. The strainer holes are small enough to catch a little piece of the foil seal or plastic that might be inside the bottle.

I like Rainman’s videos but I still cringe at that painted muffler he “welded” together. I’m waiting for a come back video to fix that mess.

Any debris that might get in the engine through the oil fill cap would be caught by the filter (or oil pick-up screen if that big) before hitting sensitive parts like bearings. It might still get in something in the valve train and cause damage, or damage the oil pump. So always clean around the oil fill cap if required before removing the cap.

I think Cat or Cummings (don't recall for sure) does recommend pre-filling the oil filter. Of course some of those filters are huge.

I always pre-fill, even vertical filters mounted base down (my Tacoma). On that one, I soak as much oil into the media as possible without it making any mess when installing the filter.

He's wrong. Chrysler called for pre-filling new oil filters before installation on some front-drive models years ago.

I suspect most manufacturers are simply silent on the issue. When the car is started the first time after an oil and filter change, the filter should then stay full unless the anti-drainback valve is bad. Also, prefilling is obviously possible only on filters mounted with the threaded end up.

I have been pre filling oil filters since I did my first oil change in 1967. In fact I have never not done it. I have never once experienced a negative issue because of it. I do see the oil pressure gauge rise much sooner after starting, than it would by not pre filling the filter. (Or in the case of an oil light, see it go out much sooner). Which is the object of the whole exercise.

There are people who can find a negative in most everything. Most of this type of reasoning can be eliminated with a simple application of common sense. This is one of them.

I knew which video it was before I checked it… sorry Ray, but I tend to disagree with a few of the way he does his repairs.

A different video had him weld in a painted muffler in a rusty exhaust… he didn’t even clean the ends of the pipes or the paint off the muffler… 🤨
Would it be possible that the muffler had weld through primer??? I cringe whenever he uses the small impact driver on battery terminals...I mean you can do it if you are careful...but still...

Back