This "EV Thing" isn't going away.....

I keep seeing more and more electrics being traded in for gassers. The dealership used lots are full of them. If the Industrial Revolution had been electric instead of fossil, then it’d be totally different. Plain and simple, ev infrastructure just isn’t there.
Do you have the data for that?

Once they satisfy the desires of all of those who *want* one.... then it will be a true uphill battle.

Jalopnik is far from being a neutral and unbiased source.
Maybe...

Here's some numbers... Tesla made more profit last qtr the the mighty Totota did, even though Toyota sold 8 times as many cars.
That's some serious demand.

And Tesla is lowering prices in some areas, like China. This will CRUSH the competition. They switched production schedlue from "build to order" to "build to forecast". Profits will soar. In China, customers have to sign a contract to not resell in the 1st year due to excess demand.

Anyone else even make a profit on EVs? Anyone else make close to 30% GM on any of their vehicles?

Do you have the data for that?
No data from Google, this is reality, what I see with my own eyes. I know a lot of people in the car and car dealership business. All of their used lots are chock full of ev trade-ins, and they just sit and sit with no buyers.

On my daily commute to work, I pass a multitude of gas stations, and not a single one has an ev charging station. One Walgreens location near me used to have two charging stations but they eventually took them away because they were just sitting there unused, and replaced them with curbside parking.

I honestly think electric everything is a fantastic idea, but it’s just something that is not a practical reality at this moment in history. For instance, I can’t hop in an ev on my lunch break with it sitting on zero charge and fill it up within a couple of minutes and return to work on time. I would have to tell my boss, “Hey I’ll see you tomorrow, my car is sitting on “e”, I need to go fill it up”.

No data from Google, this is reality, what I see with my own eyes. I know a lot of people in the car and car dealership business. All of their used lots are chock full of ev trade-ins, and they just sit and sit with no buyers.
I keep in touch with a few friends from my car sales days, they're still in the business. They do whatever they can not to take an EV on a trade, they don't want dead money sitting in their inventory. Maybe in the future they'll change their minds.

On my daily commute to work, I pass a multitude of gas stations, and not a single one has an ev charging station. One Walgreens location near me used to have two charging stations but they eventually took them away because they were just sitting there unused, and replaced them with curbside parking.

I honestly think electric everything is a fantastic idea, but it’s just something that is not a practical reality at this moment in history. For instance, I can’t hop in an ev on my lunch break with it sitting on zero charge and fill it up within a couple of minutes and return to work on time. I would have to tell my boss, “Hey I’ll see you tomorrow, my car is sitting on “e”, I need to go fill it up”.
Around here you would probably be charging while at work for a subsidized rate, or even free. At a Tesla Supercharger, 15 minutes charge on a low battery would get you plenty of mileage. Evne 10 minutes, as the car charges faster when low as compared to nearly full.

I think you know what someone sees with their eyes is not an accurate survey.

The hidden costs to owning an EV will eventually quench the fever to own one. The environment impact to produce them is a negative benefit so buying one to virtual signal is misguided. Today a servicable used car can be had for 3/5k dollars. No EV with a good battery will ever be that cheap. I'm no Luddite but realistically EVs will eventually become a small niche market for the wealthy and techies.
Most new car buyers don't care about what happens at 8+ years old, or the environmental cost... Hence everyone is buying complicated SUV's and pickups. No new car manufacturer really cares if their car will be a nice $3k beater sometime way out of warranty...
It is a bit disappointing that battery packs aren't made to be recycled at the moment. If I was the federal government, I'd tie consumer incentives to things like battery recyclability. I hope none are going into the landfills anyways, they should be stock piled until its a profitable to mine them again for their metals.

I keep in touch with a few friends from my car sales days, they're still in the business. They do whatever they can not to take an EV on a trade, they don't want dead money sitting in their inventory. Maybe in the future they'll change their minds.
Which EVs would that be?

I would be curious as to why your friend got rid of their Tesla. If possible, perhaps you can shed some additional light on this? Thanks in advance!

Her biggest reason was range planning. She likes to get up and go places. The constant wondering and planning her trip bugged her. She wanted to concentrate more on the trip and destination and not worry about stopping for charge.

Her biggest reason was range planning. She likes to get up and go places. The constant wondering and planning her trip bugged her. She wanted to concentrate more on the trip and destination and not worry about stopping for charge.
Range anxiety is real. I tell perspective owners they have to think differently. ESPECIALLY charging; these cars are different. You have to learn.

I could see me getting an Ev to fit a need, 80% of the driving I do could be done with an Ev. though the F350 is really needed when it is needed.

Around here, there have always been tons of Tesla's but now starting to see a lot more IONIQ5, BOLT EV and even a few Rivian and Lucid

So the $5k nearly new electric beater car is coming soon then?
For sure, way less people are interested in an old 83 mile range(on a good day) Nissan Leaf. Especially in a place like Dallas. I still see they want $10-12k though. For a family who lives near work in San Francisco, hardly ever needs heat or AC, and as a second run around town car, a low range Leaf is a better fit, and they are priced a bit higher there too.

EVs aren't going away...and neither is the pollution that is caused by lithium mining and battery disposal (can't recyle like lead acid)...just like the nuclear power plant that politicians told us a generation ago we NEEDED here on Long Island...the cost of that, is never going away. We have been paying for Shoreham, since 1984 and it hasn't generated one watt of power for us. Thanks for nothing, politicians.
Learn, educate yourselves, beware politicians pushing agendas. The science isn't there, not by a country mile.

EVs aren't going away...and neither is the pollution that is caused by lithium mining and battery disposal (can't recyle like lead acid)...just like the nuclear power plant that politicians told us a generation ago we NEEDED here on Long Island...the cost of that, is never going away. We have been paying for Shoreham, since

Nor is the pollution caused by gasoline vehicle.

Im unsure every example of Nuclear power plant can or should be lumped into the shoreham example. The canadians seems to do quite well with it.

I could use the San Onofre fiasco as a local example of Nuclear issues, but likewise it isn't fair to paint an entire industry with one brush.

The Honda dealership near me has rows upon rows of Teslas in their used trade-in lot. The same ones have been sitting there forever it seems. They also have a few Mach-Es, and some Ioniqs.

Back