This can't be right- rural Illinois Ford Dealer's website shows 502 new Fords in stock

Looking at the website, they are applying incentives to bring their price down to the MSRP on many vehicles - meaning their actual price is well above MSRP just like the rest of the market is...

F150's look like they are running 5-6k above MSRP.
Like many things in the car business- it is about negotiations. This small dealer group has 500 new Fords in a state that is loosing population and its residents have less buying power than many other states.

My gut tells me a buyer from Idaho can get a new Ford from this dealer group at or very near MSRP, maybe even below. I could be wrong, but that is my life experience.

The housing market was very hot across the USA. Home buyers were offering above asking price, waving home inspections, and willing to put a clause in the contract to not "bail" if the appraisal came in less than the offer price. We have a home for sale in Illinois, and talking to over a dozen agents, none of those three items were waived in transactions in their Illinois markets. Even with a possible shortage of available homes in Illinois (hard to believe), it is still a buyers market for home buying. It may be the same in the new car market in rural Illinois.

Nothing wrong with the dealer asking above MSRP, but withh 500 new Fords in inventory, life experience suggests one has the ability to negotiate much better, than lets say a Ford dealer in Boise Idaho with two vehicles in inventory. A much greater ability.

It's all speculation unless one tries to buy a vehicle from them-and reports back on here.

Last edited:
Like many things in the car business- it is about negotiations. This small dealer group has 500 new Fords in a state that is loosing population and its residents have less buying power than many other states.

My gut tells me a buyer from Idaho can get a new Ford from this dealer group at or very near MSRP, maybe even below. I could be wrong, but that is my life experience.

The housing market was very hot across the USA. Home buyers were offering above asking price, waving home inspections, and willing to put a clause in the contract to not "bail" if the appraisal came in less than the offer price. We have a home for sale in Illinois, and talking to over a dozen agents, none of those three items were waived in transactions in their Illinois markets. Even with a possible shortage of available homes in Illinois (hard to believe), it is still a buyers market for home buying. It may be the same in the new car market in rural Illinois.

Nothing wrong with the dealer asking above MSRP, but withh 500 new Fords in inventory, life experience suggests one has the ability to negotiate much better, than lets say a Ford dealer in Boise Idaho with two vehicles in inventory. A much greater ability.

Actually tried to negotiate with anyone lately? Consider the fact the reason they have inventory is because they are priced at what the market will bear?

Ran into that when I bought - the dealer that had inventory also was the high priced one - and didn't negotiate far off of it - but they had inventory if you really wanted it.

Regarding the apparent 'full lots'; I have a question.
Aren't there GIGANTIC dealerships dotted all over the country which serve as stock reservoirs for smaller dealerships?

Regarding the apparent 'full lots'; I have a question.
Aren't there GIGANTIC dealerships dotted all over the country which serve as stock reservoirs for smaller dealerships?
+2

That's exactly the case here. Kunes is a huge dealer with over a dozen locations in two states, not a lonely rural lot with an overabundance of cars they're desperate to move.

It's all speculation unless one tries to buy a vehicle from them-and reports back on here.
Exactly,

We are looking for a car for our son and just because it's on the website doesn't mean they have it.

I hate to say it, but we are probably buying an Impreza from CarMax today. He's leaving for Seattle in the next couple of weeks and we don't want to send him in the 200k mile 2010 Altima

By we, I mean he's buying.

At this point, it's about the fact they have the cars and it's a low drama experience. Not the best deal, but then who actually has the cars.

The vehicle manufacturers merely sent out proposals to the scores of IC makers here in the US and selected from the most promising looking companies.

The pictures of empty dealership lots and holding lots at racetracks were merely rouses by the media.
There is no reality anymore...it's just what you believe that counts. It's funny how so many believe the same things....and the anger with which they adhere to them.

Actually tried to negotiate with anyone lately? Consider the fact the reason they have inventory is because they are priced at what the market will bear?

Ran into that when I bought - the dealer that had inventory also was the high priced one - and didn't negotiate far off of it - but they had inventory if you really wanted it.
In fact I have tried to negotiate with someone lately. For a rental home in one of the very tightest housing markets in the nation.

I was able to negotiate DOWN my monthly rent $700 while the landlord was receiving offers above his asking price. Took a lot of work, and I was unsuccessful on two prior properties, but mission accomplishment on the third try.

In negotiating my rental down $700 monthly, I provided a biography of my Wife and my, three bureau credit reports and scores, bank statements for ten years, mortgage payment statements for ten years, payment history to landlords for ten years, copies of every rental deposit returned in full for ten years, and a log of the work I have done at every home for the past ten years, and pictures that reinforced we moved out of every home my Wife and I rented in better condition than when we moved in.

No free lunch in today's environment when it comes to housing or automobiles. If one puts together a plan, does their homework, and executes- I firmly believe one can get the "deal" they think is fair and equitable. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND WORK.....

In fact I have tried to negotiate with someone lately. For a rental home in one of the very tightest housing markets in the nation.

I was able to negotiate DOWN my monthly rent $700 while the landlord was receiving offers above his asking price. Took a lot of work, and I was unsuccessful on two prior properties, but mission accomplishment on the third try.

In negotiating my rental down $700 monthly, I provided a biography of my Wife and my, three bureau credit reports and scores, bank statements for ten years, mortgage payment statements for ten years, payment history to landlords for ten years, copies of every rental deposit returned in full for ten years, and a log of the work I have done at every home for the past ten years, and pictures that reinforced we moved out of every home my Wife and I rented in better condition than when we moved in.

No free lunch in today's environment when it comes to housing or automobiles. If one puts together a plan, does their homework, and executes- I firmly believe one can get the "deal" they think is fair and equitable. IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND WORK.....

OK, rephrase:

Have you negotiated for a factory new vehicle at a dealer with a (your words) large inventory anytime recently? How did that go?

Apples to apples...

OK, rephrase:

Have you negotiated for a factory new vehicle at a dealer with a (your words) large inventory anytime recently? How did that go?

Apples to apples...
I have not- but if I needed to, I have a plan that I think may have some potential of success. It takes work, getting no, no, no, until one finally gets a yes. There is no question in my mind a new Ford can be purchased at or near MSRP if one does the hard work. And I could be wrong, but my gut says a new Ford can be purchased at or near MSRP from a dealer in a state in the stresses like Illinois.

I posted this on another thread, but the theory remains the same.

"Man in the Arena"

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

.....my gut says a new Ford can be purchased at or near MSRP from a dealer in a state in the stresses like Illinois.
So buy one then. Until that happens it's still just conjecture.

One also has to consider that even if the climate is that dire in Illinois, that dealer's numerous stores in Wisconsin might be what's propping up their business. So he might just tell you to pound sand.

Sorry GON is in left field on this one. Then when you nail him down he comes up with that quote. I am familiar with the thread he used that quote on in similar circumstances. The bottom line is he believes he is a good negotiator (and may very well be) but hasn't tired to buy a new vehicle-in these unique market conditions. Based on the age of his "fleet" it's been awhile for a new car purchase. Instead-he just tells the rest of us what a good deal he is sure we could get-if we were as good at negotiating as he is.
Time for this thread to move on.

Last edited:
Exactly,

We are looking for a car for our son and just because it's on the website doesn't mean they have it.

I hate to say it, but we are probably buying an Impreza from CarMax today. He's leaving for Seattle in the next couple of weeks and we don't want to send him in the 200k mile 2010 Altima

By we, I mean he's buying.

At this point, it's about the fact they have the cars and it's a low drama experience. Not the best deal, but then who actually has the cars.

Follow Up, he got his 2018 Impreza yesterday. Put a sign in the 2010 Altima 2.5S. Didn't even clean it up and sold it for $4k with 199267 miles.

Had about 20 people message me on FB wanting to buy the car. Sold it to a couple whose daughter was going to use it driving in town to community college and work, both near home.

I'm thinking I should have asked for more, but I feel good about selling for this price given the miles on the car.

Reactions: GON
Back