Third world tire regrooving.

This guy is an artist the way he cuts the grooves straight as an arrow and at a consistent depth with a cold knife. And the knife must be razor sharp. I have an electric hot knife tool and still couldn't do it anywhere as good.

That is impressive. I watched and skipped around a bunch. Of course, no new rubber is added to the tire. Not sure what that does for its strength or performance. Not sure if this is how the “regroovable” heavy truck tires get done in essence…

An artist for sure, but I'm pretty sure I saw him down into the cords in a couple places.

Still, I'm sure it fits a need for someone....hopefully a really low-speed need.

That is impressive. I watched and skipped around a bunch. Of course, no new rubber is added to the tire. Not sure what that does for its strength or performance. Not sure if this is how the “regroovable” heavy truck tires get done in essence…

Yes, The ones I've seen here in Europe have holes in the some thread blocks that indicate how much deeper you can cut. A passenger car tyre really can't be regrooved, the cords are very near the surface of the existing grooves: 1/16" or so. I tried it a couple times for no other reason than I could

I once worked with a guy from Nicaragua that re grooving tires and it’s fairly common over there.

I added grooves to some tires with solid shoulders once. Made them way better off-road.

When I was a kid I had a relative who made his living re-grooving tires. He used a machine for a lot of it. It is now illegal. He also used to turn back odometers. And that of course is now also illegal.
BTW he made a pretty good living at it. For $35.00 you could have a low mileage car.

I put some regrooved drive tires on that old peterbilt i had for a while. they did not last long at all considering it was just a weekend toy. leaves me wondering if the rubber is softer when a tire is regrooved.

Back