Thinking of oversizing. Will FL400S to FL1A work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I've been browsing BITOG for a few weeks now, and have finally joined. I'm enjoying all I'm learning.

I take care of a few cars that use the Motorcraft FL400s filter. For Fram filters, this is #3600. I can't remember the Bosch or Purolator numbers. Anyways, I am wanting to go to an extended drain with full synthetic oils on a few cars that belong to family members a few hundred miles away from me. I don't get to see these cars as regularly and would just like every margin of extra protection in case I can't get to them at exactly 7500 miles, or whatever interval I choose as prudent. (Don't want to argue OCIs in this thread, just get filter info, thanks!
55.gif
)

I like the idea of having a lot more filter media for longer life, as well as expanded oil capacity. What I'm trying to figure out is if it's OK to go from the FL400S to the FL1A filter size. The mating surfaces are very similar (gasket diameter) with the FL1A being ever-so slightly larger than the FL400S. The threading appears identical. I don't know about bypass PSI levels though.

Do any of you guys have experience with this particular situation? I will probably be using the Bosch or PureOne equivalents of tehse filters, but I don't have those part numbers memorized.

Also, does anyone know of an oversize filter for the Motorcraft FL2021?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Thanks Duane! Glad to be here!

LT4Vette, thank you. Yea, I know we'll have space in the pickups, but I'm not sure it'll fit in the MKXs.

I've got some MC 5w-20 full synthetic that I want to start running in my wife's MKX. I've got the Bosch version of the FL1A on hand, so if I get a chance this week, we'll see if it fits in there!

yeah, I put an FL1A on my oldest daughter's 91 Taurus when it lived. Can't do it with the younger daughter's Taurus since her's is a 3.8 which has the filter mounted with a ridge to one side that limits the diameter.

If you wanna REALLY go crazy on the filter size, use the 'truck' model FL-299/WIX 1773/Puro L40017/Fram PH977A. It's about 2" longer than the FL1A, and gains about 1/2 qt add'l capacity. :)

The gasket sizes are a trifle different, but probably not enough to worry about..

If extended OFCI is your goal, go with the FL1A filter or equivilant; gaskets are close enough in size to be of no consequence. As long as it will physically fit, you'll be fine.

If "better" efficiency is your goal, there are other options that actually have tighter media, and still perform well, and if a FL1A can fit, then so can a (Wix) 51311 or 51307. These are actually shorter in height, but about the same diameter, and have essentially the same gasket size, but "better" filtering. There is a bypass PSI difference, so choose accordingly. Both these "filter" tighter than a 51515.

Well, I gave it a shot in my wife's MKX and the FL1A size filter is a no-go.
frown.gif

The back of the ac compresor sits about 1/8" off the standard filter, so there's just not enough width in there for the big can. Oh well. In went another FL400s.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
frown.gif

The back of the ac compresor sits about 1/8" off the standard filter, so there's just not enough width in there for the big can. Oh well. In went another FL400s.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Be sure you have FL400s or equivalent on hand in case there is no room to fit FL1A.

It's good that you have FL400s on hand to use. If not, you have to either re-use the old filter or rush to the part store to buy a FL400s.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
frown.gif

Didn't you pull out the angle grinder?
54.gif

Hm... good point MG01. Truth be told, I was actually using the Bosch version which does have a silicone ADBV. With Bosch owning Purolator, and Purolator (I believe) making the Motorcraft filters, I'm all confused?! I bought the filter at AutoZone, and they carry Motorcraft and Bosch, but the Bosch looked better for just a little more $, so I went with that one. Also, the Bosch packaging claims 99.9% efficiency (Purolator PureOne media, anyone?!) versus the only spec we know of for Motorcraft, being 80%.

The good thing is that the filter orientation on the MKX is nearly vertical with the opening facing up so an ADBV is pretty much a moot point for this application.

Either way, it didn't work. No big.

Once I work through my current filter stock, I think I'm going to go Purolator PureOne for everything.

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
One MAJOR differenece is the FL1A has no ADV(if it did, it would be FL1As).

Umm, no.
It does have an ADBV. The 'S' Suffix means it has a Silicon ADBV which can take heat a bit better. It just has a regular Nitrile, but it does have one.

I could be wrong. But I used to run that filter on my '96 Ranger 4.0(when I had it), and when I'd look into it I didn't see any ADBV.

I remember thinking about why it wouldn't, but figured in that application it wasn't necessary as it hung straight down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back